The Univision prepaid MasterCard has many good features but carries a high monthly fee.
Who the Univision MasterCard Prepaid Card Is For
- People who want a MasterCard card without a credit check.
- People who can't qualify for a credit card.
- People who want an alternative to a secured credit card.
Credit Rating Required
- No credit check required
About the Univision MasterCard Prepaid Card
- Free direct deposit.
- Free ATM usage at Target and Allpoint ATMs.
- $10 bonus for first direct deposit.
- Customer referral program.
- High monthly fee.
- Maximum load amount per transaction: $950.
- Maximum load amount per month: $9,500.
- Maximum amount on card at any time: $9,000.
- Monthly fee: $9.95.
- Online bill payment: $1.00 per transaction.
- ATM withdrawal fee: Free at Target stores and at Allpoint ATM machines, otherwise $1.95.
- Customer service call: None.
Univision MasterCard Prepaid Card Review
The Univision Prepaid MasterCard from the Spanish television network has several interesting, cost-saving features that recommend it. Unfortunately, the high monthly fee and the $1 per transaction charge for online bill payments are deal breakers for me.
One of the best things about the card the free withdrawal fee if you use either an ATM machine at Target or one operated by Allpoint. That company says it operates 43,000 ATMs and you can find one using the GPS function on your cell phone - if your phone has this function. Otherwise, there's a $1.95 charge if you use an out-of-network cash machine, which is competitive with some of the better prepaid cards.
Direct deposit is free, and you get a $10 bonus after your first direct deposit transaction. Customer service calls with a live person are free; many other cards charge you $2 or $3 if you want to talk to a representative.
You can also earn $10 for each friend you refer as a new customer; your friend gets $5, and you can earn an additional $10 if your friend signs up for direct deposit. There's no limit on the number of friends you can refer.
While those features are nice, they don't outweigh the steep $9.95 monthly fee. Many other cards waive that fee if you direct deposit or load a certain amount of money each month, but not here. For example, the Capital One Prepaid Card charges only $4.95 a month, which is waived if you load as little as $500 per month. You also get dinged $1 per transaction if you pay bills with this card.