1. Money
LaToya Irby

No ID Required for Credit Card Purchases

By May 21, 2011

Cashiers often ask for ID with credit card purchases to make sure the right person is using the credit card, thereby preventing credit card fraud. However, VISA and MasterCard merchant-credit card agreements don't allow stores to require ID for credit card transactions. Merchants can ask for ID, but they can't refuse the transaction if you don't show your ID.

Baltimore Sun reports a man recently had his credit card was refused by Target employees because he didn't have his ID (which had just burned in a house fire). A Target spokeswoman later apologized and admitted the error was on the employee's part.

Consumerist has several stories of customers who have had their credit card refused when they wouldn't show their driver's license.

While merchants may ask for ID to prevent credit card fraud, your personal information is at risk when you show your ID. Remember that your name, address, driver's license number, and sometimes social security number are printed on your driver's license. This is just the information an unscrupulous cashier needs to steal your identity. Many credit card fraudsters are successful with just your zip code and credit card number.

Unfortunately, attempting to force an employee to honor the merchant-credit card agreement at the time of purchase is a losing battle. I've read several stories about employees who've refused credit cards because the customer wouldn't show ID. Store managers typically back up their employees.

Sometimes, though, when the stories reach national media, the higher-ups usually side with the customer - as in the Baltimore Sun's Target and Consumerist's Disney stories - and promise to retrain their employees not to require ID unless law requires it, for example with tobacco and alcohol purchases.

If a merchant refuses to honor your credit card because you won't show your ID, you can report to  MasterCard online - Mastercard's Merchant Violation form - or report to VISA violations by calling the number on the back of your credit card.

Recommended Articles

Image © Paul Burns / Getty Images

Comments
June 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm
(1) joetaxpayer says:

Disney in California asked for this throughout the park for every purchase, no matter how small.
My choice was to just show the license, and keep from creating a stir with my family standing right there.
My local supermarkets are up to $50 without even a signature. A $10 lunch at Disney needs license.

June 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm
(2) Peter says:

I was recently in Nicaragua and was asked to show my ID for a purchase, which I did not have on me at the time. Do you know if this is the same for international purchases? It was a bummer, because I did not have any cash and was hungry!

July 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm
(3) gigi says:

This is the dumbest policy Visa/MS has ever come up with.

When someone uses a stolen card, it is the MERCHANT not the card issuer who takes the loss. The card issuer charges a fee to the merchant of between $15 – $25 to the MERCHANT when a customer files a charge back. So unless the purchase is over $750, the card issuer actually makes more $$ when a chargeback is filed.

THIS is the reason for the policy – not to protect consumers from id theft. Id theft does not commonly happen where a cashier is memorizing addresses from being shown an id. In fact, this is a difficult way to go about it and so pretty darn rare.

Common ways thieves get your id is from stealing pre-approved credit card offers from the mail and from dumpster diving. You can protect yourself much more efficiently by getting a paper shredder and getting your name taken off the lists for those pre-approved offers.

This policy only exists because it is not the card issuer whose $$ is at risk. So don’t think for a second that the policy exists to benefit consumers – it is an ineffectual method to do anything for the consumer but ssave them the inconvenience of having to pull a card out- its all about the $$ and this benefits the card issuers.

July 23, 2010 at 11:58 am
(4) 1-800-VISA-911 says:

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It’s part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card – electronically or by telephone – to be sure it’s valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can’t ask you for any further identification – not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn’t needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven’t read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant’s bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line – or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. “When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped,” Visa representative states. Violations of Visa’s Operating Regulations result in fines of no less than $5,000. To report a merchant, write to Visa Inc. P.O. Box 8999 San Francisco, CA 94128-8999 or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. “All a merchant is supposed to do is make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization.” Report violations to: American Express P.O. Box 297812 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812 or call 1-800-528-4800 or report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

August 2, 2010 at 6:01 am
(5) Anonymous says:

Obviously it is a major security and identity theft risk, extreme invasion of privacy, and a no-brainer to keep your ID to yourself. No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some violating cashier on demand. The most important thing is making sure it never happens again, so if any violating merchant should ever pop-up in your community, make sure they are eliminated/brought back into line immediately – 1-800-VISA-911.

Never show ID with credit cards.

No ID required with credit cards. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online:

Check the box that says “Merchant required ID”

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

September 1, 2010 at 8:03 am
(6) sslack says:

Having worked for a credit card company in customer service, this policy regarding ID for CC purchases is just complete nonsense. I received hundreds of calls a day and at least 10% of my call intake was related to credit card fraud. As we live in a world that requires ID for so many different things, not having ID on your person is just ignorant. I understand that things happen, fires etc. It is simple, be prepared. Have backup ID such as license, birth certificate, SS cards in a safety deposit box at your local bank. It is relatively cheap and it never hurts to be prepared. Asking for ID no matter the amount of the purchase isn’t just a good measure for the business and the credit card companies, but the customer as well. Just think, if your information was stolen, wouldn’t you hope that someone would ask and decline to take the card if they thought someone was committing fraud with your things??

October 30, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(7) Chris says:

I think that it’s bogus for a consumer to get upset over having to show their ID. If I lost my credit card, I wouldn’t want someone using my card. I would rather that person get caught for trying to use my card. People look for every little thing to complain about. Maybe we can stop carrying our driver’s license when we drive too!

March 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(8) pulekha says:

Identity theft has become a major, major problem! And living without protection is like living in a crime infested neighborhood and not having protection on your home. You would probably at least have a really good guard dog and a fence right? Well, not protecting your identity today is the equivalent of living in that neighborhood and refusing to even lock your door. It’s so sad that it’s come to this, but there are always tradeoffs in life. Because we want better medical coverage and a nicer car we pay more to protect and insure them.
Likewise, with something as amazing as the World Wide Web there come tradeoffs also. One tradeoff for us having access to almost everything is that others have access to almost everything about us, our information. And that includes our personal information like social security numbers, banking information and even your medical and criminal history.
Luckily there is a lot of information out to help us understand and protect ourselves from these heartless criminals. Here is an informational website put together to help you and your family. We hope you find it helpful. ID theft protection

June 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm
(9) Noelle says:

I was recently at a fast food chain. My purchase was $11. I handed my credit card face down and the cashier asked for my i.d. . I’m 17 and so my mom’s name is on the card. Is this legal? Or was she being discriminatin against me because I look like a Mexican?

July 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(10) Gail says:

Hello, the links to the Visa and Mastercard sites no longer work, can they be updated?

I can’t find them on their sites, and Chase VISA told me it is now fine for merchants to ask for ID!!!

July 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm
(11) Tracy says:

They need to ask for I.D. when the purchase is HIGH, I was a victim of credit card fraud, someone used me BestBuy store card to buy over 2,800.00 dollars worth of cameras and phone cards. THATS BULL! too bad some people loosed their I.D. it is so easy to get another one or keep a back up. It is better for 1 person to be turned down, that 100 get ripped off isn’t it?

July 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(12) Tracyveterans says:

BETTER SECURITY to MATCH NEW TECH Savy theifs!

Why can’t VISA & MASTERCARD put your picture on the card and or require a thumb print like some check cashing places.

Something needs to be done.

They should at least give the credit card cusumer a choice of opting for a credit card with security features and that requires I.D. vs cusumers who don’t. I am a U.S. Combate veteran and our ssn numbers were stolen on a lap top. I was a victim once and I don’t want to happen again.

September 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(13) Cody says:

A merchant can ask for, but cannot record, personal information. This is violated all the time. Everyone assumes it’s for protection; rightfully so too. It protects the merchant. The merchant is protected from the average thief who stole a Credit Card. The merchant is also protected from having to pay you back because of the smart thief who used your name and signature to acquire all of your personal information. Merchant records a valid address or phone number, and viola! You’re now stuck with paying for that thief while also being accused of “fraudulent chargeback”.

With a quick google I can also confirm, I’ve never thought so many people in my life are so dedicated to protecting the merchant by throwing themselves under the bus.

October 17, 2011 at 12:31 am
(14) Dan says:

I understand that the consumer is protected and only liable for $50 of fradulant purchases, but that’s besides then point. I don’t want to have to call and report a bunch of fraudulent purchases and wait for dispute resolution because people are worried about showing their IDs. Get over it. It’s not about the money – it’s about the time. And it takes a lot more of my time to resolve a fraudulent charge than to show my ID.

November 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(15) Martin says:

I recently had my ID photocopied by a merchant, as a condition of the sale (VISA). I spent some time searching for the policy on the VISA site, they use to prominently display the merchant agreement but for some reason now it is buried deep in a much more dense document, the no asking for ID rule can be found here;

The section heading is “Supplemental Identification – U.S. Region” page 449

It reads;

A U.S. Acquirer must not, as a regular practice, require a Merchant, and a Merchant must not require a
Cardholder, to provide any supplementary Cardholder information as a condition for honoring a Visa
Card or Visa Electron Card, unless it is required or permitted elsewhere in the U.S. Regional
Operating Regulations. Such supplementary Cardholder information includes, but is not limited to:
* Social Security Number (or any part thereof)
* Fingerprint
* Home or business address or telephone number
* Driver’s license number
* Photocopy of a driver’s license
* Photocopy of the Visa Card or Visa Electron Card
* Other credit cards

May 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(16) rob says:

stop being an ass, have your ID out….

May 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm
(17) rob's smarter brother says:

stop being an ass, make them play by their credit card agreement rules….
(and immediately report those who won’t)

June 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(18) ID-Lost says:

My wife showed her ID at a grocery store – the cashier took the drivers license and credit card. Turned away to the credit card machine and then returned the credit card but not her drivers license. My wife being in a hurry, and having her hands full of grocery bags did not notice the missing drivers license until a few hours later. Upon returning to the store, the clerk denied even checking her out and no one could find her drivers license. Now there is probably someone running around using my wife’s drivers license – To all of you who say “get over it” and show your ID, I suggest you just ask the merchants to follow the rules that they agreed to. They claim that they need ID for “My protection” – Exactly how are they protecting me? When a merchant ask you for your ID they are effectively saying to you: “We don’t believe that this card is yours, please prove it” – I personally am offended being called a thief every time I make a purchase. I always politely inform them that they cannot require ID, ask for a manager, end up paying with cash and file a complaint with Visa/Mastercard. I am thinking that cash may be a much better option for everyday purchases and just save the credit card for online/airline/car rental/hotel/large type purchases.

July 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(19) kl says:

This article is old and outdated… ID can be asked for when using a credit card under Federal law.

July 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(20) Former Thief says:

Yes, ID’s and credit card information is often taken right at the cash register, It was easy to do because people are most of the time willing to give you the information without question. This is because we have been trained to do so. Exercise your right to privacy even if it is inconvenient or you will LOOSE them.

July 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm
(21) reply says:

kl, please give Federal Law title and section to prove your assumption.

August 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm
(22) water damage restoration says:

Awesome! Its actually awesome paragraph, I have got much clear
idea concerning from this post.

September 15, 2012 at 5:14 am
(23) Anonymous says:

Never show ID with credit cards.

No ID required with credit cards. Merchants cannot require ID.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online:

Check the box that says “Merchant required ID”

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

October 6, 2012 at 4:08 am
(24) k says:

There is no such thing as a ten dollar lunch at disney….

November 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm
(25) Chicama says:

As a Latino, I am very touchy about being asked for ID to use my credit card. I was in the Wilshire Blvd Whole Foods in Santa Monica last March, and a Black cashier demanded that I show him ID to pay with a credit card. No one ahead of me in the line was asked for ID to use their CC by him. I refused to show him ID, so he called the manager. But since the manager did not respond to his call, he just verified signature and we were done. I went back to that Whole Foods a few times over the next few days, and no other cashier asked me for ID. I called the store manager the next day, and he said it is their policy to require ID. He referred me to the regional Whole Foods office, and a very annoying woman there told me that is the policy of the Southern California Whole Foods. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars at Whole Foods stores in the Seattle area, and not once has anyone dared ask me for ID to use my card.

Last week I was going to buy a $60 microwave at a Best Buy in Seattle, and the cashier asked me for ID. I refused to show her ID. She called the manager, a Black man. He told me that I was not being carded, that it is their policy on everybody. Funny policy because within the previous year I had bought a $1400 TV with my CC and no one had asked me for ID. Granted, I was with my White wife that time. I still do not see why some minority people believe they have a license to be racist, and to card other minorities.

I like the credit card policy of not allowing merchants to require ID to use credit cards. It stands on the way of racial harassment. And it gives people like me easy recourse against those cowardly predators.

December 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm
(26) lmew says:

@chicama it’s not just you. I’m a white woman and even for small purchases I get asked for id. I went on to visa.com and printed out their policy about showing identification, so when I use my visa card and get asked for id I take that out and show it to the cashier. If I use my amex I just cover up my address with my thumb so all they can see is my name and picture.

December 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(27) lmew says:

Anyone using a credit card is already protected without showing id since they are not responsible for fraudulent charges.

December 7, 2012 at 5:13 am
(28) Xyzzy says:

For anyone else interested: the relevant info in the current (late 2012) VISA rules PDF is at the very bottom of page 496.

Chicama, I’m a white California woman, and the same happens to me consistently at some stores. In fact, I ended up here while web-searching for info on what the laws and VISA rules were regarding it. :-p

December 11, 2012 at 10:58 am
(29) Store Owner says:

Most of you are screaming about your right for privacy.
OK. Lets think:
When the theft will still your card , that person will have many ways to use it , one of the common way is to make purchases at the stores. After that – you will have many days to work it out with the bank , filling out papers and proving it was not you who made all the buying.
YOU WILL EXPERIENCE STRANGE emotions of outrage? Sadness and being tied for all time you will have to spend on it .
Imagine , just for a moment, that it is much more difficult for the theft to make purchases at the stores! Just for the moment ! I guarantee, that you will sleep better knowing it.
For us , store owners , charge-back routines are the most sad ones and time consuming.
Visa/MS and American Express has the policy to charge the merchant (store owner) right away for all items that the thief bought. We also paying from 15.00 -to 25.00 dollars for charge-back inquiry done by Visa/MS & AM/EX. Plus we spend about 2 hours on searching thru all the cc cards slips for card proof and writing emails. But the worst is all about professional salesperson feelings , he/she who helped the customer , who work hard – do not trust any of you – who afraid to show their ID cards. Professional salesperson knows that they protect your customer privacy , when they ask to see an ID , to make sure the card your show belongs to you and you was not robbed.
works for ALL in best interest.
below is all correct !

TO understand this policies – open the business and try to run it !

December 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(30) lmew says:

@Store owner- I’ve worked at several retail stores and I know that some cashiers are not trustworthy. I’m not going to let some kid off the street see my address. When I worked for Toys R Us and bought something I told a cashier my phone number to start the sale and he memorized it and called me to ask for a ride. He was creepy! I no longer give my real phone number out. I’ll give a phone number because I know that some stores keep track of how many the cashiers get, but it’s not my phone number.

January 29, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(31) Josh says:

I had that same problem at Papa Johns in Yuma, AZ. After the cashier (a fat lady) asked me for my ID, I canceled my order because she did not ask for an ID to the person in front of me. That is what annoyed me; maybe she did not like my accent. Then she called Little Cesaers that is relatively close and ask them not to take care care of my order, to only find out that I did show my ID at Little Caesars since they treated me nicely. LOL

February 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(32) Paul F. says:

Feel free to walk away, I’m still checking ID.

February 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(33) Jack says:

The only thing the law requires my to use a debit or credit card on thaa back it says Not valid without signature it doesn’t mention anything about an Id. When places ask for an ID I ask do you pay the Bill if not step off. It is both in the merchant contract and a federal law not requiring CC card purchases Beverly Credit Card Act of 1971 says so. It does not protect merchants it just waste my time especially when some places force you to actually take the ID out.

March 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(34) Olngrumpy says:

Those who are against showing an ID are either peddling fraudulent cards or have never been at the receiving end of reversed transactions. I agree that nothing should be written down, but the name on the card should be matched to an ID card with picture such as a driver’s license. I thank merchant requesting an ID, and protest loudly when they don’t.
Here’s a bit of good news! By 1/1/2016 all card readers require a chip reader, and all transactions require a PIN. This will alleviate many of the current usage problems, …until crooks figure a way to defeat security.

March 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm
(35) Olngrumpy says:

Jack: California’s “Beverly Credit Card Act of 1971 says so” not to (require to) record personal information as condition of sale. I didn’t see any mention about viewing or verifying name.

March 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(36) teri says:

I am a merchant. I do not have an agreement with any credit card issuing company or bank. I use GoPayment through Intuit. So, since I haven’t signed any agreements with CC companies I am not violating anything by requiring an ID with a credit or debit card.

May 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(37) roger says:

Teri, if you signed up for merchant services with any company reselling those services you have agreements with the credit card companies. Read your contract and or if they did not provide you with one ask them for one. All Intuit does is works as a middle man to get you signed up for the service for the credit card companies. Then they make money off of your transactions. Intuit isn’t processing and approving those transactions it’s the credit card companies that are.

July 14, 2013 at 8:38 am
(38) Ryan says:

America really needs to get something like Chip and Pin, and do away with the anonymous card-swipe nonsense.

Being able to make a purchase on a bit of plastic without a means of identifying you are the person who owns the card is outright unsecure, and I’m honestly surprised most of you people are so pushed for time you can’t take at most an extra 30 seconds to identify yourself, especially when it’s a large purchase.

It makes me hope you have your card stolen at some point so you can see what it’s like to have someone fraudulently purchase things using your card.

July 14, 2013 at 8:44 am
(39) Ryan says:

Just to add, the best part about Chip and Pin is it keeps your personal information safe, while also preventing other people from using your card without the pin number. Only four digits long so most people should be capable of remembering it…

But no, you’re in such a rush and concerned about privacy that you’d be able to go swipe, paid, run away with several hundred dollars worth of stuff at someone else’s expense.

And I bet at least some of these people also have a smartphone tracking their data, their position on the planet, and having this info sold to every advertising company Google or Apple can get to purchase that info.

August 18, 2013 at 9:37 am
(40) row says:

This is a load of garbage. But as soon as someone gets their card stolen, the question will be “how come they didn’t ask for an I.D?”. I’m a cashier& see hundreds of i.ds & card names, & I DON’T remember any of them. You also have to think, how odd is it that you’re carrying tons of cards but “you don’t have an i.d? People should be happy that theirs.cahiers that ask for i.d’s cause there considerate of your protection.

September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm
(41) Sean says:

Only those with no credit or good sense, would leave their CC number, in conjunction with their license info, with an hourly employee. This info is sold every single day, and is how identity theft happens. Identity thieves can steal your life, and the cost to repair it, would be many tens of thousands of dollars. Judging by the diction and narrow perspective of those in favor of showing ID, I would hazard to guess they needed worry about losing their perfect credit or good names.

December 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(42) The cashier view says:

I had my head bitten off by a women today for asking for an I.D she was spending near $100 on crap items (I work at Party city, its all junk, and candy) she showed me her ID but the yelling just wasn’t necessary. I AM A PERSON, I HAVE FEELINGS, it bothers me the whole day and night when a customer yells at me for something that is not in my control. Because IT IS NOT . I do what I am told, and I follow policies just like I am sure all of you do at your own jobs . If you were not asked for ID it is probably because the cashier is sick of getting yelled at by people for doing what they are told to do. I know I am. I am just looking to match a name if you don’t want me to see your birthday/address fine cover it up I am just doing my job I am not your punching bag..
it’s been around 13 hours since and obviously I am still thinking about it and my feeling are still hurt. I AM A PERSON TOO..

March 24, 2014 at 7:30 am
(43) Jimmy says:

I always refuse to show ID. I have had my Identity stolen and believe me fraudulent credit card charged are a walk in the park compared to having your identity stolen. The police officer who investigated my case, if you can call I that, advised me to NEVER show a drivers license when using a credit card and never give out address information for catalogs or to be added to a mailing address and the like. 10 to 20 years ago the big thing criminals stole was credit cards, now they are stealing your entire identity. There are very simple processes and laws to address fraudulent credit card charges, but there are no overarching laws or simple procedures to address identity theft. Countless numbers to call, at least three credit agencies, countless collection agency’s each requiring a formal response. I now protect my ID at all costs including shredding all documents.

April 9, 2014 at 6:09 am
(44) MH says:

I think there’s a huge misconception about this. First…yes, merchants may *ASK* to see ID, but the person presenting the card can choose to show it or not. If they refuse, for whatever reason, the merchant must still run the card. VISA, for instance, has a very clear procedure on how to handle accepting a card. It’s in the merchant manual. The clerk is supposed to compared the signature on the slip to the signature on the card. Does nobody look at the back of their card where it says that the card is NOT VALID unless it has a signature? There’s a real reason for that. If, as people often idiotically do, write “See ID” on their card, well then the merchant has to have a supplemental ID in order to compare signatures… but then, it gets dicey because the merchant is technically accepting an invalid ID credit card (no signature = not valid) and completely invalidating any protection they may have. I run a business and if anyone presents me with a credit card that says “CID” or “See ID” then I refuse and request that they sign the card in front of me first. If they refuse, then I can asked for a different SIGNED card or refuse that sale. And unsigned card (including cards with funny non-signature references on them) in an INVALID card and should never be accepted by a merchant. (to be continued…)

April 9, 2014 at 6:10 am
(45) MH says:

(…continued) So, why would somebody not present ID? Here’s what happened to me recently. I was in a hurry and had a sick spouse in the car. I couldn’t reach my wallet, so my husband handed me a card from his wallet instead. It just so happens that my name is printed on the card and it’s my signature. He had it in his wallet from making an online purchase days before. I ran in to a store to get some items to help him feel better, plus a prescription waiting for him, all totaling less than $10. The clerk at the drug store refused to run my card without my ID. I left my ID in my car. I told her just compare my signature on the card to the slip. She said it’s under $10 so I won’t be asked to sign it. I told her I’d sign it anyway but I wasn’t going to go back out to my car to get my ID and wait in the pharmacy line again for less than $10 purchase. I apologized and said my husband was ill… and frankly, their merchant agreement forbids them from refusing to run the card anyway. PLUS I was picking up a prescription, which is tied to a file with all of my husband’s information. If they really needed to find us, they could. Also, the Rx I was picking up was a controlled substance and they never even want an ID for that… just his name and birth date. I even asked her… she wanted the ID for the credit card… and NOT the prescription. Remember, I was picking up a CONTROLLED substance and they didn’t want an ID for that. Go figure. I made enough of a fuss that she finally just ran it.

How is it my fault that the drug store doesn’t train their employees on proper merchant account procedures? If they don’t like the acceptance rules about ID, then they don’t have to take credit cards for payment.