The Walmart co-branded version of Discover offers a big cash-back bonus if you spend $100 or more on your first purchase.
Who the Walmart Discover Card Is For
- Walmart shoppers who want cash-back rewards.
Credit Rating Required
- Fair to Excellent (660+)
About the Walmart Discover Card
- Low reward redemption level ($10).
- Bonus rebate after first purchase.
- Discounts on Walmart gasoline purchases.
- Poor customer service.
- You must jump through hoops to get your reward.
- Must spend $3,000 to get full one percent cash-back reward.
- Up to 1% cash back on spending.
- $20 reward bonus if you spend at least $100 on your first purchase.
- Three cents off per gallon of gasoline at Walmart gas stations.
- Walmart Discover Card: 13.9% to 22.9%, depending on credit history.
- Walmart retail card: 22.9%.
- No annual fee.
- Late fees: $15 to $39.
- Balance transfer fee: 3% of balance.
Walmart Discover Card Review
The Walmart Discover Card has the same benefits as the the regular Discover Card, plus some additional ones that make it slightly better than the original.
In addition to the up-to 1% cash-back reward, you can also earn a $20 bonus rebate if you spend at least $100 on one item the same day you apply for and are approved for the card. Of course, you must be confident you'll get approved for the card, so don't go right out and buy that high-definition television just yet. You can apply for the card either in a store or online.
Rebates are easier to earn on the Walmart Discover card than on the regular Discover card. As soon as you earn $10 in rebates, you're automatically sent a check in that amount. By contrast, with the regular Discover card, you must earn $20 before you can redeem your rebates, and you redeem rewards on your own, either online or by phone.
You get a three-cent-per-gallon discount when you buy gas at Walmart gas stations and pay for it with your Walmart Discover card.
Walmart's retail card has many of the same features as the Discover card, including the $20 bonus rebate and the gasoline discount. However, you can't use the card outside Walmart and therefore don't earn the one percent spending rebates. The APR on the store card is also a lot higher.
Both the Walmart Discover and Walmart Credit Card are issued by GE Money Bank.
If you're planning a big-ticket purchase and considering applying for a Discover card, the Walmart card is the way to go. You get a $20 rebate on your next statement, plus you'll continue to earn cash-back rewards.