1. Money
LaToya Irby

Capital One to Refund $140 Million to Cardholders

By July 20, 2012

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has ordered Capital One to refund $140 million to approximately two million cardholders after the card issuer deceived customers into purchasing certain add-on services, like payment protection plans and credit monitoring.

Current and former Capital One customers who initially enrolled in one of the add-on services on or after August 1, 2010 or who unsuccessfully tried to cancel after August 1, 2010 will receive a refund of all fees plus interest. Current cardholders will receive the refund as a credit to their credit card account. Former cardholders will receive a check in the mail.

Watch Out for Phishing Scams

The CFPB warns of scams related to the refund. Scammers may ask for personal information or tell you to send money to receive your refund. The refund is automatic. If you're entitled to a refund, you won't have to do anything to receive funds.

Always remember not to give out personal information on a call you didn't initiate to a number you've confirmed belong to your card issuer. Never give out personal information via email or a website you landed on from an email click. Instead, log in to your account by typing the company's URL directly into your internet browser.

What Capital One Did Wrong

Capital One isn't being penalized for simply selling or suggesting payment protection plans and credit monitoring services. It's the way the company's customer service reps sold services that got them in trouble with CFPB.

According to the CFPB, Capital One misled customers about the benefits of the services, failed to inform customers that the services were optional, failed to inform certain consumers they were ineligible to receive benefits of the services, misled to think the services were free, and enrolled without consent.

In addition, Capital One made it difficult and impossible for some cardholders to cancel services.

Other Penalties

In addition to the $140 million penalty, Capital One is required to pay a $25 million penalty to the CFPB. The card issuer is also not allowed to market these products until they submit an acceptable compliance plan to the Bureau.

Comments
May 10, 2013 at 10:21 am
(1) Sylvia says:

CSR’s can become deceitful when their supervisor frequently monitors their sales volume of these add on services. CSR’s who don’t meet weekly goals are continuously badgered. Some CSR’s will indeed resort to lying or withholding information from customers, in fear of losing their jobs!

May 10, 2013 at 10:28 am
(2) tmann says:

hope they go bankrupt this company has lost its mind. ive paid them OFF for years and my rates have gone from 0 percent to 3.9 to 19.99 and i have good credit. i have since taken out a loan and they will be paid off next week! when asked why they did this they state it was across the board. so basically im paying because others didnt.

May 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm
(3) James says:

I’ve used Capitol One for over 25 years. The only time my rates went up was when I was married and gave my wife money to pay the bill, but she didn’t and used the cash for who knows what. After my divorce I took out a new account and they have never raised my rate. It was lowered 3 times in the last 10 years. Somebody came up with a screwy idea and the Supervisor bought in to it. So now they pay for it. It seems like that was the new American way, get the cash any way you can. It’s not how you get it, it’s what you have.

May 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm
(4) chadderly says:

Finally! I opened a card with capital one and i told the guy 7 times I didnt want this stupid scam protection. Finally just to get the guy to shut up i said yes and could never cancel it afterwards.

May 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(5) theTruth says:

Seems like Capital One is at the forefront of every credit card scam that comes along – when will the US Attorney General prosecute them and put an end to it?

May 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(6) No Surprise says:

Capital One has go to be the WORST credit agency in existence. They charge extremely high rates, have hidden fees and the worst customer service reps in the industry!!! They prey on the poor and less fortunate. They are absolutely horrible! You have to be an idiot to have an account with them!

May 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm
(7) Joe Volkmann says:

I’ve had a Cap One business card for about 15 years and never voiced a single complaint. I don’t care what interest rate they charge, because I always pay in full each month. And, I’ve never allowed anyone to add any extra services onto my account because I’ve actually read my agreement and know what they can and can’t do.

May 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(8) HappyWithCap1 says:

To No Surprise

… I’ve had a CapOne card for over a decade and have always had a good experience. But then I paid my bills on time and never had to worry about customer service.

I image if you had the same experience with Capital One you would not have resorted to name-calling. In the back room of credit card agencies they refer to your type as “Deadbeats.”

May 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm
(9) E from Tennessee says:

Capitol One raised rates on their customers although they had signed agreements indicating that their rates were fixed (never to be raised). They threatened customers with cancellation if they did not accept the higher interest rates. There were also incidents whereby the insurance did not pay when a person was declared disabled–they continuously transferred the customer to the department to resolve the problem, but they never resolved it while you continued to pay the premium. You had to insist on them dropping the coverage due to nonpayment and to not transfer you anywhere.

May 10, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(10) Mary says:

I have also been a card holder for many years and the interest started out at about 5% and now years later is 19 or 20ish%
I have good credit and always pay more than the minimum amt. due each month….
They are a Credit Card Co. and they can and do get away with any and all increase amounts….
Sad yet true….

May 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm
(11) Eric Tam says:

I use to dislike Capital One because they raised the rates on a previous loan that was suppose to be fixed. To get them back I have been shorting their stock, I’ve made over $1000 last year by shorting their stock when it gets too high and buying back after it falls. I would suggest more people try this as it has really made me appreciate Capital One.

May 12, 2013 at 10:39 am
(12) truth says:

Capitol One is the worst bank on the planet. Customer service is a joke.

May 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm
(13) J. David G says:

I was foo;ed also bu Capital ONe , when i got disabled and lost my job
i hhad or thought i had protection as Capital One told me but when i tried to get this help they told me that i had to DIE before i could collect, after i had payed for about 5 tears all i got was D— lies and no help all they are is crookes hope rthey get their pay bcks now .

May 14, 2013 at 1:08 am
(14) former cp employee says:

I sold these services and hated it. There was so much pressure to sell but I never said I sold when I didn’t. I know agents who did though. Capital One is a money grubbing company. Never forget they are in it for the money. They fee you to death so to have to pay for their business approaches is wonderful. I would like to see their CEO and the CEO of CP work the phones and if they mis-speak then they get fired.

May 14, 2013 at 9:47 am
(15) merbeau says:

One other thing about Capital One. They never report the maximum limit amount to the credit reporting services. So if you have a $100 balance and the maximum is $5,000 the creit agency has no way of determining what percentage of the maximum you are using. This action tends to lower your credit score which is good for Capital One because they can raise your rates, etc.

May 14, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(16) Alan says:

None of the payment protection plans offered by Credit Card Companies are worth the paper that they are printed on……Anyone trying as I did to receive a payoff or payments due to disability will be given a form letter reply denying payments for a host of reasons even if one manages to answer all the reasons they make up other reasons for denial……Don’t expect any Government help either……Even after several companied admitted to deceiving customers they paid out a penny on the dollar or less……raking in millions in profits….who says crime doesn’t pay ?

May 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm
(17) Mary says:

I wondered why they were calling me.. Wow I will answer that call next time!

May 14, 2013 at 6:55 pm
(18) Maple says:

Cap 1 have been very good to me over the years, I appreciate them and the customer service has been very good, if not excellent. Now lets talk about a real rip-off ‘ The cost of housing IN EDMONTON ALBERTA ……… its a sin they can charge exorbitant amounts for rent and noone’s regulating it…. I earn $20 an hr and live in a room in someones house for $800 a month. INSANE>>>>> dont come here!

May 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm
(19) Me2 says:

I had a Capitol One account, well actually I still do, but it is a closed account. I closed it when they decided for no reason other than greed to raise the interest rate to 19.9%. By closing the account I am able to pay on it at the lower rate the card came with. They keep sending me stuff to come back, they want my business. I don’t need theirs.

May 16, 2013 at 12:32 am
(20) Joy says:

They are a rip off with no customer service that is truthful. My son was asking why they raised his rates (he was never late) and all he got was
gibberish from the person he was talking to. We paid the card off and he made payments to us with 0 percent interest. Within five minutes of the account being paid in full capitol one called back and said,”Why, you cancel your card? We very good to you.” They thought because he was on limited income there was nothing he could do about it. He would just have to pay their outlandish rates.

May 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(21) kcom says:

Why is any money going to the CFPB? Don’t you think that creates a huge conflict of interest?

“We’re regulating you’re business practices. And, by the way, if we decide in our sole discretion that you did something wrong you owe us money, too.”

How self-serving is that? Remember, there are all kinds of scam artists in the world, beyond credit card companies. Be wary of them all.

May 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(22) Krzy says:

I had a power of attorney for my son who was on a submarine. They refused to discuss an invalid charge with me. The CSR told me “we will call him and verify with him” I told her that if she could get ahold of him good luck, she said well they can use their credit cards at the store on ships. Obviously she was not aware of what a sub is. Because I told her NOT OVER 500 FEET UNDER WATER THEY CANT. she actually called me back 3 days later, because “hes not answering his phone” UMMMMMMM AT and T is good but not that good!! I told her to send me a copy of the charges as i could verify his signature, so could they on the POA. never heard another word and everything got reversed. Needless to say we closed ALL accounts with them

May 17, 2013 at 5:07 am
(23) boris says:

Why does it always have to happen AFTER THE FACT when all of these card holders find out about these anomalies, but not before, or in other words, prevent all of these when the card issuers should have whatever requirements on their contracts for the card holders to read!!! and avoid them to go thru all the bull these card issuers are putting everybody into these crusial stand. Ridiculous !!!.

May 17, 2013 at 11:17 am
(24) Jf Faith says:

When I opened my Capitol One Card account I was fully informed of the “insurance option” ! The information they provided me clearly stated that it was voluntary and how to cancel if not satisfied.

I for one… cannot see where this company or the products they are being “prosecuted” now for offering…. failed me in any fashion, shape or form!

May 18, 2013 at 12:03 am
(25) Tom says:

I had a Cap One business account, all charges could be paid off within 60 days of the specific purchase and there was no interest. But once on my statement there appeared some “special charges” that were subject to some higher interest rate I never agreed to, and these charges had to be paid off, before payments would be applied to other “60 day” charges. So I was being forced to pay interest, while in full compliance. I never made any “special purchases” and when I demanded an explanation, they could not, would not identify or explain. Their actions are criminal in nature and should be investigated by the appropriate authorities. Cap One is what is known as a “predatory lender”. What’s in you wallet? What a joke!

May 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(26) maggie.may says:

I have several times tried to close my account with CAPITAL ONE to no avail they have sent me new cards that I didn’t want so yes you have to beware of what they are doing they for one thing are the biggest card lenders in the world I still haven’t got them to cancel mine & another card lender is as bad as them & that is BANK OF ANERICA I HAD A 15000THOUSAND LIMIT WHEN I DIDNT USE IT FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS THEY WENT UP ON THE INTEREST & PUT MY LIMIT DOWN & THAT MADE THE CREDIT BUREAU THINK I HAVE SPENT ALL THE MONE I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN

May 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(27) Port Noise Complaint says:

They are a pack of thieves. They continue to send me “preapproved credit card offers.” Yes I have signed up on the list to preclude that, but it does no good. I send their garbage back to them.

May 20, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(28) Common Sense says:

LOL suckers at the end of the day using Capital one or any card letting them raise your rates let alone agreeing to pay for extras that dont help or improve your chances of truly stopping identity theft or fraud is your own dang fault. So like obama play nieve & stupidity blaming Capital one or Wells fargo or whom ever the fact is that you ultimately agree to let them do it. IF you don’t like their rate find a better one & transfer it then if you so choose close the account just be sure to settle your bill. Same thing when you incompetent people buy mortgages you can’t afford or dont read or big a house more expensive then you really can afford. I’m no fan of capital one but they can only get away with something if you let them thus it ultimately is your own fault for the financial mess you have with any bank.

May 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm
(29) Helen says:

Capitol One is the most deceitful, rotten credit card company going.

I’d been with them for nearly 20 years, and they pulled a billing scam on me. I closed my account, immediately.

What’s in MY wallet? Not this piece of crap! Shame on them!

Listen to the Cap One BABY on their commercial. “No, no, no !!!”

Dangerous!

May 20, 2013 at 3:46 pm
(30) Common Sense says:

No Surprise – it’s fools like you & deadbeats who make everyone else especially those with great credit pay high rates same goes for car loans home loans or any kind of loans & insurance. Man up become an adult take some responsibility and live within your means be it 100 dollars or 1 million dollars a year. If you ain’t got the cash you can’t afford it.

May 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(31) confused says:

I have 2 cards with Cap1. 2 yrs ago I was off work for 4 months and they made my payments like clockwork. 14 months ago I became totally disabled and they made my payments until last month when they paid off both balances on the 2 cards. They never in 15 yrs raised my rates. I have no bad feelings about them at all. they have always seemed on the up and up and customer service has always been spot on with the help I needed. In 15 yrs I would say that is a good track record for them. Never any hidden fees either.

May 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm
(32) Here's_1_4_ya says:

I never had a CapOne Card, but the identity thieves who opened both cards and a check account did and no matter what I did, CapOne would not back off or let go. No amount of proof, no showing how other credit providers relented worked, nothing. Total run around and denials. It was pay or suffer. Eventually I went to get a mortgage and the mortgage broker convinced me that since it was the only negative in my credit record to just pay it. I have never written a less well deserved or galling check.

May 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(33) Me! says:

Capital One should pay all their Cardholders for ripping us off and raising our APR “due to the economic downturn” that they helped create! I paid that card off years ago, and now I use it and pay it every month to get cash back. Not that 1% is a lot of money, but it’s the principle. Now they’re paying ME!!

May 21, 2013 at 11:17 am
(34) B says:

Had a card… paid it off and even asked for 3 days of interest to be added on due to having to snail mail the pay off. They gave me a confirmation said it was paid in full. SO I cancelled the card only to have it come back and bite me. Apparently they didnt give me the full pay off because there was 7 cents left on the balance. Needless to say they never informed me of this 7 cents for many many years later. I ended up having a bill for over $300! I refuse to pay it. They insisted it was paid in full …. grrrrrrrrrrr HATE THIS COMPANY!

May 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm
(35) Chad says:

Pay our bills off in full every month and you won’t have anything to complain about. With Capital One for 15 years. Never once had an issue. Never once paid for finance charges. Never once paid for interest. Learn how to use a credit card!

Not only has my credit score been fantastic over this time period, but I average $500-600 a year in bonus cash from their cash back program. That’s free money!

Know you’re cc agreement, be vigilant in your bills, and buy yourself something nice end of year.

May 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm
(36) charlesgold says:

I closed out my account. Capital One is full of lies.
I agreed to monthly payments, and capitol one, withdrew more than 4 times the agreed amount from my bank acct.. they said there was a
computer error, but this same practice happen before, so I closed out my entire account, after paying off the balance.
Dont ever give the credit card company your bank acct number for on line
payment. Capitol One can’t be trusted.

May 21, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(37) charlesgold says:

chad, you must be a capitol one employee. zero interest………………..
what a line of crap,, you are covering up for them.How much did they pay l for that testimonial

May 22, 2013 at 6:31 am
(38) constance Johnson says:

Capitol One ripped me off when I filed bankruptcy. They never paid me back monies that they garnished my wages for after the fact. Never got my money from them and could do absolutely nothing about it.

May 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
(39) fyi says:

Hope they fold up and die

May 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm
(40) capitalonecust says:

whats in my wallet? after the banks charge whatever rate they want, and to a lesser extent, hit people with fees…….NOT MUCH!

May 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(41) Sleazyweasel says:

So, I wonder when Capital One or another company pays a fine to the CFBP if there is any accountability for that money? I do not trust these government agencies with money that is paid in fines. Makes me wonder about the money we pay to the IRS…is there really any accountability for it?

May 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm
(42) John Christman says:

Capitol One enrolled me in their program and then after paying for it for a few years and my business went down I was told I didn’t qualify when they knew I owned my own business from the start and it was a business account… Then they would only give me 3 months of my money back because I should have known.

May 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(43) Kevin Charles says:

Consumer reports, approx. 2005, can’t recall. Showed Capital One was cited for similar deceit. Avoid Criminal One, I mean Capital One. Pass the word.

May 22, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(44) james says:

I see a lot of comments about how bad Cap one is… I’ve used cap one for years and have never had any trouble, and i don’t recall anyone ever trying to sell me something. I even was able to save up miles for a trip to Italy. Gotta cash in those miles again!

I have had bad experiences with Chase though… card number stolen twice (from across the country no less), and had only used the card a couple of times.

May 22, 2013 at 11:06 pm
(45) james says:

interest rates dont matter. just pay you bill, in full, every month, and you don’t get dinged. the rates could be 100%, but it wont matter.

May 23, 2013 at 1:09 am
(46) Christie says:

I had both of these and when I needed to use them ,I was told it did not apply . Well I was injured and then laid off my job, they kept making excuses and would not up hold their policy. I paid for the service and never received any benefit when I needed it!! They are scammers and I hope they go under in a bad way!!

May 23, 2013 at 6:49 am
(47) Elmer Fudd says:

Capitol One Sucks. Stay tuned and I will share my experience

May 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm
(48) Remy says:

I count my blessings that I don’t have a Capitol One card

May 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm
(49) EB7354 says:

Cap One is not the first, and they won’t be the last to get slammed on this. Discover issued refunds last year for the same thing, Bank of America issued them earlier this year, etc etc. “Credit protection’ is a cash cow, and ALL the credit card banks use sales and enrollment numbers to hound their reps into selling them any way possible.

May 23, 2013 at 4:44 pm
(50) Bill says:

Always a reason why rates are raised. Even with credit scores in mid 600′s two yrs ago, CAP ONE never raised my rates (13.9). Always had good experiences with CAP ONE, just not sure why some folks have credit problems, no matter what CC they are using.

May 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(51) Joseph says:

I had (notice had) a Credit Card from another company that was acquired by Cap 1. They aquired them and changed all the rules without informing anyone. Thought that was mandatory? Checked with some friends that had the same card. They also reported no information except for a welcome letter that I did not receive. So no changes right?? Wrong, the interest rates went up, benefits went away and the card became a scam for special extra hidden costs. When I called to complain they gave me the run around and stated that was the way it is. If you do not like it do not use the card and go somewhere else.

Good advice I found a company that did a transfer of the outstanding credit. I made the move as other people that I know suffered. Have not talked to them lately but I imagine that things have not changed. It is unfortunate that this happens and that it seems that nothing is done about it. Where is the justice for the common card holder? There should be greater fines, restrictions and penalties placed on this dirty company.

May 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm
(52) No go Cap O ne says:

This is a nightmare company for good borrowers. Run as fast as you can. CITI is way better.

May 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm
(53) screwcapO says:

After never being late in 12 years and them raising my rate to predatory practices even though I had a great credit report, I never saw my balance go down and I was making a large payment each month and not using the card. They wouldn’t ever answer any questions of mine in a reasonable manner so I f’d them good. I filed BK over this card and have never looked back.
(Smiling all the way to the bank.) Credit cards are a trap. You are better off throwing your money in the gutter.

May 23, 2013 at 8:00 pm
(54) CITIIisBetter says:

IF you MUST have a card, the safest and best customer service is CITI. And that’s a fact. Or Alaska Airlines.

May 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(55) Al Rotundo says:

What’s in their wallet? YOUR MONEY!

May 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(56) katie says:

140 million to 2 million cardholders? So each cardholder will get 70 million? There’s something wrong with this math or the lawyers are gonna get a lot of money.

May 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm
(57) Tom says:

@Katie
“140 million to 2 million cardholders? So each cardholder will get 70 million?”

Your math is off; that would amount to $70 per cardholder, not 70 million. You might not want to involve yourself in money matters if you’re that bad at basic calculations.

May 24, 2013 at 11:09 pm
(58) Jeff says:

Couldn’t have happened to a better bunch of bottom feeders. I made the mistake a few years ago of getting a Crapital One credit card. They notoriously delay posting payments until a couple of days after receiving them so they can call it a “late payment” and quadruple the finance rate as a penalty. (I have proof of this. I once sent a payment with proof of delivery requested with the post office. The payment posted 3 days AFTER the post office delivered it.) When I called to complain, I was told that my lower rate would be restored after 6 months of “on-time” payments. Didn’t happen. When I called to complain about THAT, I ended up talking with the snottiest person on the planet who claimed to be the assistant to the CEO. She told me there was no notation of my ever having been told my rate would decrease. Big surprise. They need to be investigated and prosecuted for their unscrupulous business tactics.

May 25, 2013 at 9:58 am
(59) Linda McCall says:

I had an account with them about three or four years ago. Every time you turned around, they were upping your interest charge. After the second time……I cancelled the card, paid them off and have “Kept it Giong”

May 26, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(60) juan says:

Are you people that “pay off your balances each month and have never had a problem” bragging??? Isn’t that kinda stupid? I mean, to have a credit card, and I’m sure you pay something for it; just to pay it off every month? Are you just that bad with your budget? If not, why not just use a debit/credit card attached to your checking account? I haven’t owned a credit card in over 20 years. If I need something, I pay for it. If i don’t have the money…guess what? I don’t buy it! I know, irrational thinking and all but, what can I say?

May 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm
(61) Lindah says:

I cancelled my protection plan with no problem.

May 27, 2013 at 8:32 am
(62) Victoria says:

This isn’t the firt time Capital One did something screwy. Back in the late 1990′s, their employees posted at various grocery stores and shopping malls would have people “sign up for more information about Capital One Credit Card”, but in actuality, they were signing up to receive them. The people who signed would try to cancel, but they kept getting the run-around from customer service. They also had a neat trick about interest. I would get a bill, pay it in full as soon as I got the bill but it wouldn’t show up on my account until after the due date, so I would get another bill for interest. I paid that as soon as I got the bill, but that wouldn’t post so I had to pay interest again. Calling Customer Service was a joke, too. Seems to me, there was a successful lawsuit about that scam as well. Worked for them as a temp for approximately 2 weeks before I was offered a permanent position, but I told my temp service no way, get me out. They had all these complaint letters that kept going from department to department because no one wanted to deal with it. Cap1 is a joke.

May 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(63) becky says:

Capital One credit cards – if you’re a female get rid of it! We just spent a horrid FIVE years being sued by Capital One for a debt WE DID NOT HAVE with them. They deliberately GO AFTER WIDOWED, ELDERLY WOMEN to steal ALL of their assets – including home, car, bank accounts. We ended up having to pay an attorney thousands of dollars to get their thieving hands out of my mom’s checking account, and to get the lien off her home. AND SHE DIDN’T OWE Capital One a PENNY! I made many phone calls when this first hit just to find they have a reputation COUNTRY WIDE for this practice of stealing from elderly, widowed women. To make it worse, the law allows NO PUNITIVE DAMAGES for their behavior! (No need to speculate that Capital One lobbyists wrote those laws! ) And if you get any settlement for ACTUAL FINANCIAL COSTS to you from their behavior it is reduced to pennies or they appeal it. THIEVES WITHOUT PUNISHMENT.

May 28, 2013 at 12:24 am
(64) mahituna says:

this is one of the crudy banks around. they have been ripping people off for years

May 28, 2013 at 1:45 am
(65) hnanny says:

I am a widow, whose husband had a card that I didnt know about. They have been hounding me steady. I offered every day for weeks to give them a pay off but was finally told not to call them any more. The pay off was more than the card was worth. Now they have sold it to another company. I will file bankruptcy before I pay these idiots a penny.

May 28, 2013 at 3:45 am
(66) A. Peters says:

I too have a Capital One card that started out with a decent rate and even though I have always paid way more than requested, and on time, Capital One, over the last couple of years, has raised the interest rate so high that my payments get me no where towards paying off this card. I just feel like I spin my wheels. I haven’t even used the card in years because of the interest rate but still can’t seem to make a dent in paying it off because of the interest rate increases.

May 28, 2013 at 11:46 am
(67) Will Stockdale says:

Hey Ben maybe you’ll get to like the Air Force. Zooming all over the sky and shouting ROGER and WILCO and everything. Maybe it won’t be so bad.

May 28, 2013 at 12:01 pm
(68) George Baldwin says:

No surprise that the people complaining are the ones that don’t seem to have any personal finance skills. tsk tsk. I don’t pay interest because I pay off my account every month. The reason I have the account is for the great cash back rewards. I get paid to use this card!

May 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(69) Wayne says:

We had perfect credit with them and they raised the interest much higher for no reason. We canceled them and never looked back.

May 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm
(70) parackal thomas says:

I had the same experience like the item 63 comment above. I did not owe them any money-always paid promptly. But then I got their Collectors letter saying I owe them money I asked for a statement showing details -but never received a reply only threatening letters to sue me.
I wrote to the vice president of Capital one asking to let me have a copy of the statement showing how the amount is due from me . he replied you can get it from the collectors- but I never got any statement as proof of the debt.
Finally I got fed up and paid off the amount but they did not inform credit rating agency and I suffered a bad credit score.
I later learnt from a member of the public that capital one had out sourced the accounting work to India and that service was unsatisfactory – perhaps fraudulent- ultimately Capital one discontinued
the out sourcing- the end result is that AMERICAN CUSTMERS of Capital one credit card had to pay out that they did not owe like my case.
It is high time that some government agency INVESTIGATED this matter and refunded such unsubstantiated claims made by Capital one through their FLORIDA collection Agent.

May 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(71) lucy says:

I’m so glad I left them. They have the worst customer service ever. There service is so horrible. If you used ING banking they are bad too.

May 28, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(72) Wayne says:

The best way is what we do now, so much time (it changes from deal to deal) and NO interest if paid in that amount of time. We just make sure we can do it or don’t bother.

May 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(73) SMALL CHANGE says:

They got me, the FEES are high, I always PAID more than what was DUE, am I entitled to some type of REFUND, I don’t know what to do
they INCREASED my LIMIT!

May 28, 2013 at 10:13 pm
(74) barb says:

tsk tsk really? all these self-appointed financial wizards sort of bragging of their wonderful skills and now obvious to all; their wealth and obvious high standing in society shaming and judging anyone who has had any issues at all… pompous bunch of hooligans and drunks….hehheehe

May 28, 2013 at 11:38 pm
(75) Sporothrix says:

I like Cap One- never had an issue with rates or unwanted services. In addition they are one of the few credit card companies that don’t charge fees when using overseas.

May 29, 2013 at 9:07 am
(76) Myra West Powell says:

Capital One is the biggest crooks I’ve ever dealt with. I went to the ATM one morning on my way to work trying to make a cash deposit of $300.00. I had deposited $120 (6 $20 bills and then I got a message on the screen stating “transaction cancelled”. I did not cancel the transaction and I could not get my money to return in the ATM. I left work at 9:00 to go to the inside of the bank and I was told I would be given a provisional credit until they could count the money in the ATM to see if it was over. I asked them to look at the camera to see I was making the deposit and I was told the camera do not see the transactions. I said if this was a robbery it would be captured. The investigation into this matter took 6-8 weeks and they took the $120 provisional credit back from my account sending me a letter stating the ATMdeposit was not over on that date. After receiving the letter and trying to call and speak with someone, there was no record of the complaint # on the letter. End of story!!!! What happened to my money???——–Crooked A$$ Thieves that work for Capital One.

May 29, 2013 at 11:29 am
(77) Sandy Evans says:

The only way your capital one payment will be posted on time is if you a)call in and pay $15 fee or b)pay at WalMart for $1.50. After I started paying at WalMart, I saved myself a bundle in “late fees.”

I have asked them repeatedly to put me on a system where the payment is deducted automatically from checking (like my power, etc.) and they either tell me that is not possible or to wait for a form in the mail.

May 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(78) George says:

Had a Capital One card for several years. I went for it with the promise of 6.99% for life, as long as I remained in good standing. This was their advertisement! I was never late and always paid ahead of time. About 4 years ago out of the blue they raised my rate to 12.99%. I paid the balance and tore up the card.

December 27, 2013 at 9:24 am
(79) SUSIE says:

HOW DO YOU KNOW THE CHECKS ARE REAL FROM CAPITAL ONE?