1. Money
LaToya Irby

Pay Tips With Cash, Not Credit Card

By May 12, 2011

If you pay for a meal with a credit card, you may also write the tip in rather than leaving a cash tip. In some restaurants, servers may not get the full gratuity you wanted them to receive. Credit card issuers charge merchants a processing fee on all credit card transactions. Merchants may pass the tip portion of the transaction along to the server.

Steak 'N Shake recently asked their servers to agree to pay the 2.5% processing fee on credit card tips. So, instead of a $5.00 tips, the server would only get $4.86. The other $.13 would go to the credit card issuer. It doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. Besides, should servers really have to pay a fee to get the tips they've already earned?

Not all restaurants ask employees to pay the credit card processing fee. And some state laws may prevent them from doing so. You can always ask your server if they receive 100% of tips paid with a credit card. The best way to make sure your server gets their full tip - pay with cash.

Recommended Reading

Image © Cornstock Images/Getty Images

Comments
December 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm
(1) Gene Wright says:

I always leave a cash tip,. The problem is that the waiters do not have the change to give you back the correct change on t he bill.

June 11, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(2) Milton says:

When you pay in cash, you are most likely aiding and abetting income tax fraud through non or under reported income to the IRS.

Restaurant and restaurant worker tax fraud is endemic!!

ALWAYS pay restaurant checks and tips with a credit or debit card.

Everyone should have documented income, and pay taxes like most of us.

June 12, 2013 at 8:29 am
(3) Chris says:

I don’t tip and nobody should. If a worker agrees to work for $2 that’s their business not mine. Their boss can’t negotiate for what i do not have to pay.

What a server earns is none of my business.

June 12, 2013 at 8:47 am
(4) JJ says:

Sorry, I am not worried about 2.5 pennies on the dollar when all they did was carry my food.

June 12, 2013 at 9:23 am
(5) jim says:

Milton is correct and Chris is a jerk.

June 12, 2013 at 9:53 am
(6) Tee says:

When did $4.86 and .13 cents become $5.00? Also, glad I tip at least 20% to make up for the Chris’s of the world. When I’ve forgotten my wallet, when I was broke, I’ve been shown nothing but kindness by many wait staff. They are hero’s in my book for working long, hard, on their feet jobs, often just to take care of a child or pay for a college education. My waitress NARA, I miss you still!

June 12, 2013 at 10:24 am
(7) Kevin says:

@ Chris – I don’t think you realize that wait staff don’t make minimum wage due to the fact that the LAW determined that most of their income comes from tips? If restaurants had to pay double or triple the wages for wait staff, how would they recoup that expense? They would A) raise prices per plate / drink or B) Charge a seating fee.

Chris is the reason people spit on burgers, deliver half eaten pizzas, and don’t refill drinks.

June 12, 2013 at 10:45 am
(8) Cindy says:

How is it your responsibility to ensure the server pays their fair share of taxes? You have no way of knowing if the restaurant owner pays their fair share, your “paper trail” only works in the case of an audit.

When you leave the tip on your credit card you have no way of verifying if the owner is passing the tips on to the server.

Cash is king.

June 12, 2013 at 11:10 am
(9) Rebecca says:

People who refuse to tip are cheap and should not go to places where people are expected to wait on them. STAY HOME and fix your own food, or are you too lazy for that too! Shame on you. Waitresses and waiters work hard for your expected tip. If you don’t agree don’t go out where there is waitstaff, McDonalds should be right up your price range.

June 12, 2013 at 11:10 am
(10) Dug says:

Chris, be truthful, the real reason that you don’t tip is that you have a self appointed sense of entitlement, as do many of the present ‘ME’ generation. I’m sure I speak for most of us that I can only wish that you had to work as a server / host or hostess to earn a living, and feed your family. Maybe then you would appreciate the job they do, and the jerks like you they have to contend with. Since that probably won’t happen, I can only hope that you stay the heck home and eat leftovers and frozen burrito’s for the rest of your pathetic life!

June 12, 2013 at 11:15 am
(11) Dug says:

Rebecca is correct, my thoughts exactly, in fact, almost my exact thoughts! Here’s something you can do Chris, go ahead and eat out and stiff the servers for there main source of income, just promise to do this one thing, each time: Tell them up front that you won’t be tipping them, and you just don’t believe they deserve it! Problem solved.

June 12, 2013 at 11:25 am
(12) Greg says:

That’s right if you go to an establishment that serves food to you, and cleans up after you, and waits on you during the course of an entire meal you are expected to leave a gratuity. Going there–with the full intention of not leaving a tip- is a deceptive, cheap, dishonest, despicable, nasty, low-class, disgusting, and shameful thing to do. Chris is a person lower on the scale of evolution than pond scum. There should be a free hitman service to take care of people like him. I thank all the great wait staff over the years at many fine restaurants for making dining a real pleasure.

June 12, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(13) Tevis says:

I hardly ever carry cash on me. It’s too bulky and too easy to lose and I don’t want to have to worry about going to the bank all the time–that’s a REAL hassle.

June 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(14) Jonny Zuhalter says:

I don’t carry cash. You’ll just have to deal with my tip being added to to the charge.

June 12, 2013 at 12:48 pm
(15) Jason says:

There are some cheap, selfish, greedy people commenting here today. Probably all self-entitled baby boomers, too.

June 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm
(16) Ron says:

Tevis, if cash is too easy to lose, what happens with your identification and your house key and your lighter. You must be a real klutz, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m a big tipper, real big, I appreciate good service, and they appreciate me.

June 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm
(17) Kay says:

Chris, unless you have been in the position of a waiter or delivery driver you don’t understand how much a good tip means to them. Have you ever had a job?? My son is working his way through college delivering pizzas and he is amazed at how badly he is treated by many of his patrons and usually the friendliest and best tippers are people who at one time in their life were doing exactly what my son is doing!! Working Hard for tips to support himself and better his future.

June 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(18) former PH driver says:

Milton is probably one of those IRS agents under investigation for stealing medical records, playing politics with tax-exempt status, etc.
Or else an Obama welfare bum, who wants the IRS to collect more $, and send it to him.

Chris and JJ are @$$es.

Kevin, Cindy, Rebecca, Dug, Greg have their heads screwed on right.

June 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm
(19) Allie says:

I never carry cash because I am really a flake and lose all sorts of things all the time, but I make sure to tip enough that if they take a little 2.5%, the waiter/waitress still ends up with a really decent tip. I also make a habit of eating at places where I know the tip ends up with the wait staff.

June 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(20) anthony says:

Of course they want cash, it’s not the 2.5% fee, it’s the paper trail and saving 20% or so in tax. I am not going to let media spoon feed me ideas to pay the CC fees for the servers.

June 12, 2013 at 2:01 pm
(21) Terry says:

What a bunch of cheap bastards. TIPS means To Insure Proper Service. My uncle was a professional waiter and he always taught me to respect the servers and tip well. He made $1.75 an hour and made amazing tips because he was a good waiter. At time he got hockey tickets, $100 bills…etc. Servers depend on tips. However if the service is bad then don’t tip and tell the server why. I had a horrible experience and it wasn’t the servers fault so right in the middle of dinner we got up, found the server, gave him a tip and left. Chris is a jerk and like someone said…part of the ME generation. I’ll bet he frequents Yachts and talks with a fake English accent! LOL

June 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm
(22) Mark says:

I most always leave a cash tip. If I was a server I would want it in cash. The servers pay taxes on income associated with a percent of the amount of sales. I respect servers and the hard work they do and my politics are Republican. It is sad that many of the people who have no respect for servers probably practice the politics of the democrats… the so called party of compassion. If you are really on the “workers” side then you would leave a good tip for good service.

June 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(23) Larry says:

What a stupid article. Tips increased from 15% to 20% within the last decade and we all went along with it, since tipping is ultimately an affirmation of your own self worth, but damned if I am going to make accommodations for credit card issues. If servers were totally dependent upon cash for tips I bet their total take would go down by more than 2.5%.

June 12, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(24) troy says:

In ALL restaurants, the proprietor will not get the full payment you wanted them to receive. Credit card issuers charge a processing fee on all credit card transactions. Your server is not the only one that might not get the full amount. ALWAYS pay by cash!

June 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(25) Dick Nixon says:

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

June 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(26) Carl Matthews says:

I do not believe in the tipping system. I believe the servers or anyone getting tips should be paid entirely by their wages or salary. Cash tips can lead to abuse.

However, within the current system of tips, I pay by credit card many times or there would be no tip. The choice of how I pay is my business. The fees you refer to that may be passed on to the server are petty indeed and makes the article on this subject almost worthless.

June 12, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(27) TC Kattiwampus says:

Bills paid in cash don’t cause tax fraud. Restaurant workers are charged a set % of income in recognition of their tip pay, regardless, Mr. Milton Know it All. You’re probably a newhire Obamacare IRS Nazi who can’t wait to screw, I mean serve the public.

Mr. Chris Cheesy Cheapskate. Why don’t you really show your appreciation for service and go somewhere else to eat. What a chisler! I bet you go to weddings, freeload like a hog and don’t even bring a gift. Cause you’re too “smart” to waste your pennies.

June 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm
(28) TC Kattiwampus says:

Carl Matthews doesn’t tip and he pays via card. Except of course when he finds out using his card at some gas station will cost him 5 cents more per gallon. Then this tightwad whips out his roll and spends like a Rockefeller. Cause when he pays the extra pennies, they are no longer petty then boy! What a cheapskate!

June 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(29) red62 says:

Wow glad I don’t wait on some the your tables.

June 12, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(30) TC Kattiwampus says:

Chris,

Love ya babe. I hear you pinch pennies till Lincoln screams. Why don’t you climb a tree and holler fish? Skinflint turkey.

June 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm
(31) Mickey says:

Better yet let the restaurant owners pay the tip by paying their workers an honest livable wage. Where else would you pay the wages of some one who doesn’t work for you [but the owner of the business.] The owners already make loads of money by charging outrageous prices and then they expect someone else to pay their employees. Goofy Americans.

June 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm
(32) Mickey says:

former PH driver must be an obama voter, his top comeback is to call people names. You know they are when they do….

June 12, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(33) Eioljg says:

A restaurant that has a franchise in several states pays whatever is minimum wage in that state. For example, my daughter worked in CO a few years ago and made $4something per hour + tips as a waitress. Same chain restaurant in NC, my son earned minimum wage, which by law was only $2.13 + tips. Tips were very low on lunches that consisted of soup and a bread stick. And according to the state’s website, the minimum wage had actually dropped over a period of years. In MN, the minimum wage would be several dollars higher. Same work in this chair restaurant, but different compensation. My daughter said that you got your tips in cash at the end of the shift, but the computer kept track of all the wages and tips. Most often her “pay check” was a whole $5 because the restaurant is allowed to subtract the tips from the wages before they pay out. What a racket for the restaurants.

June 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm
(34) Mark says:

Seems to me this is more about being forced to report the amount for taxes than anything else. Also since our Democrat leaders want to raise the minimum wage for servers, the tip may become a thing of the past.

June 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm
(35) mark williams says:

The business has to pay the same 2.5%. Using the author’s logic “don’t they deserve all of what they charged and what you agree to pay?”

To the guy that “never tips” You do know your food gets spit on, right?

June 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(36) Dennis says:

Steak & Shake is owned by an Iranian muslim.
What else would you expect?

June 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(37) CHUCK FINLEY says:

A tip is just what it suggests a GRATUITY meaning for those who only know how to spell like in text messages on top of the bill for great service. If I go to a sit down restaurant the tip is completely dependent on the service provided. If I have a good server who attends to the table, pays attention and is courteous a tip will be provided and I do appreciate their financial situation because I too used to wait tables. If I have a poor server who takes the order, never comes back to see if we need say a drink or water, delivers the meal and again never returns or is curt and unfriendly the tip will reflect the experience. I never penalize the server for mistakes from the kitchen or bartender. When I worked in this trade we were forced to share our tips with the kitchen staff even though they were paid (in my case) 4 times the wage. If the tip is paid with credit the server will have taxes taken out, if by cash not and that is the reason I always pay the tip in cash. The FEDERAL GUMMIT is wasting our tax dollars & people who work hard as servers deserve any small advantage I can help them with by paying the tip in cash.

June 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(38) rachel says:

I always tip when I eat in a restaurant and I always tip the pizza delivery driver 20%-even though the pizza place is 3 blocks away and I am paying a 2.00 delivery fee, which is then taxed, for my total bill. Where I get concerned and a put off is when I eat out at a boufet(?) style restaurant-I get my own tray, pour my own water, serve myself, get my own silverware and dishes and the cashier asks me if I want to leave a tip? For……….? Because the dishwasher washed the dishes? Because someone wiped down the counter? Because the cashier rang up my purchase? What exactly am I paying a tip for? For those in this type of business, please explain what this is for.

June 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm
(39) russ says:

O you of little faith. What a server dose with paying irs is ok with me. Obama needs the money to teach irs how to dance…..just cheat like we all do. Is this a great country or what. Tip for good service cash but only for good service.

June 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(40) M says:

Chris (3) above is a cheap bum.

June 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(41) Dave says:

Waiters and waitresses do not work long hard hours. Perhaps long but certainly not hard. Walking is not tough.
If they have to work long hours to support a child of theirs too bad. They made the choice to engage in an activity that could result in a child so they and they alone should take responsibility.
I take my wife out often. I used to tip 25-35% as I am very fortunate and appreciate good service. I would always use credit as I expect them to pay their tax burden on the whole of their as do I. It is common knowledge that they under report their wages on cash tips and therefore not only don’t pay their “fair share” but become one of the largest consumers of Obummacare. As a result I have reduced my tip policy to no more than 10% in liquid funds as they make up the additional by redistributing my income for their health care. Without my consent I might add.

June 12, 2013 at 5:41 pm
(42) Mikr says:

For those of you who think the server is getting away without having to properly declare income tax if paid with a cash tip, you are misinformed. Restaurant managers review the declared tip amount of each server at the end of the night/day for their staff to ensure that they declared at least 15% (after tip pools/food runners/bar/hostess pay out) to keep the IRS at bay. The IRS will audit the entire restaurant’s tip declaration to make sure their figures are accurate based on the total sales (not necessarily each individual). Therefore, it is in the best interest of the restaurant to conitnue to monitor how much income servers are declaring to keep themselves out of legal trouble. If a server pocketed 100% of their cash tips, it would certainly raise flags. Oh and Chris, your a cheapskate who should probably either move to Europe or get a better paying job.

June 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(43) Mikr says:

The majority of the posters seem cheap and possibly uneducated btw.

June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm
(44) Pauper says:

In many countries, tipping is not expected nor accepted because servers are paid a living wage. I think it’s one more way Republican-types have foisted their responsibility onto others, much like banks, insurance companies, Wall Street, etc. like their profits private when things are good, but want their losses public when things go bad.

So what’s the answer? One would be servers across the country all saying, “No!”, which is kind of what Unions are all about. Unions, though, have really been taking it on the chin for the last few decades.

By the way, notice how big business always wants to shift responsibility and focus when their greedy practices are brought to light? “It’s the Unions’ fault!” (who are fighting for the individual working person). “It’s the Lawyers’ fault!” (who are fighting for the individual injured person). “It’s the Civil Rights workers’ fault!” (who are fighting for the individual oppressed person).

Finally, notice how every big building in every big city has the name of a Bank or Insurance Company associated with it? (Insurance Companies are essentially Banks, e.g. State Farm Insurance now has State Farm Bank). Those buildings represent what happens when you deposit money at 0.1% interest, are charged to talk with a teller, and are charged 5.1% interest if you want a loan.

June 12, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(45) calbo says:

don’t believe chris, he is just an internet troll……

June 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(46) sam says:

Dave Since you are so fortunate.. please print your views on a business card and hand it to your server before they wait on you… Servers are required to report 8% of their sales for the day and tip out bartenders, cooks, expos, hostesses etc. So if you eat a 100.00 meal and do not tip that server still pays 8% on that bill.. So thank you very much Mr fortunate…. Sorry these people are not less than… I would say most are more than… you with your narrow mindedness…

June 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm
(47) Tango says:

Taking the wife out to dinner tonight. Made a special trip to get some cash (before I read this blog). Wait staff work hard and I’m thankful I never had to wait on folks…I wouldn’t last 10 minutes. Cash or credit card, leave a tip. You may be a waiter/tress some day.

June 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm
(48) Joanne says:

I don’t mind tipping at full-service restaurants, and I tip 20% of the total. What I resent are those ubiquitous tip jars everywhere. Why should I tip someone for pouring me a cup of coffee, which is their job? Where will it end? Should I tip at McDonald’s? How about at Carl’s, since they actually bring your food to the table?

June 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm
(49) Ewan McMurchie says:

Chris is a low life, probably has low self esteem and is overcompensating for other questionable issues in his life. Not tipping someone for bringing you food and drinks, visiting your table several times and cleaning up after you is beyond reproach. Sounds like you are just a freebie cheapskate….. I do like the comment about telling your server up front that you are not going to tip them… then see what kind of service you get, if any you pathetic excuse for a customer…Stick to fast food restaurants where you belong fat boy!!

June 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm
(50) Miles says:

I used to wait tables, during high school and college. It was a great JOB and I made so much in tips, that it was hard to take a pay cut and get a CAREER after school. I made enough to buy a BMW for my 17th birthday, and afford an apartment on my own. I’d like to think I was great at what I did, but compared to the work I do today, I think I was grossly over paid. And to be honest, my tips were just average, back in the day when the average was 15%. That being said, ask anyone who’s worked in the business and they will tell you they know how to tell good service from bad. Most service I get is “mediocre” at best. I average 10% in my tips. If the waiter was friendly, timely, and professional the whole time I’ll tip 15%. A few times, there have been incidents that completely RUINED the night, but they weren’t the waiter’s fault at all. We got part or all of the meal for free, and I gave the difference between what I actually paid and what I should have paid (plus 15%) all to the waiter. There was even one time where two of us went to dinner and the waitress went to bat for us for a mistake by the kitchen, getting our whole meal comped and earning herself a $200 tip.

June 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm
(51) Ken says:

I always pay the tip in cash, they deserve all of it, if they don’t declare it all the more power to them, With them working far below minimum wage they deserve all they can get.

June 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(52) Fernando says:

Chris your a douche bag! I hope they spit in your food! You should never EVER go out to eat! Most of them are paying for school.

June 12, 2013 at 9:27 pm
(53) DoctorSpeed says:

Tipping is OPTIONAL.
I will tip what I feel is deserved, and 20% is ridiculous.
Don’t use cash, sorry – not my problem!

June 13, 2013 at 7:42 am
(54) Princefigs says:

I would never tip an automatic amount. If you do enough that seems to earn 15% of the bill, then you will get it. If all you do is take my order, bring it to me, and fill up my glass once, that is not worth 5 bucks to me.

June 13, 2013 at 8:41 am
(55) Susan says:

I ALWAYS tip at least 20%. Most servers ALSO have to tip their bussers, as well. I appreciate it when I am able to go out, sit down, not have to do anything except act like a DECENT human being to someone who is bringing food to me or me & my fam. I remember my first couple of jobs which were waiting tables. I remember being happy when I could buy diapers & gas for my young children & being disappointed at usually the most high maintenance, BITCHY people who didn’t leave a tip yet having to put up with their complaining about something AFTER they ate it, griping at me like I cooked something they complained about-yet again-AFTER they shoved it down their throat. Many people simply do not belong in public due to being self righteous JERKS, cheapskates, power trippers or just plain ole A**holes.
I haven’t done food service or direct public contact work in many years & there’s a reason for that!
Tip your server or stay the hell home!

June 13, 2013 at 9:09 am
(56) Sally says:

I always tip in cash. I appreciate thier service. Chris is a cheap bastard that needs to stay home and eat frozen dinners. I bet he’s the first one to complain if his salary (or Welfare check) doesn’t meet his expectation… isn’t there an isolated island somewhere we can send these people to?

June 13, 2013 at 10:15 am
(57) Doug says:

Why don’t you tip at grocery stores, Mickey D’s, other places where you get good service. Most waiters expect a tip and don’t seem to understand that the tip is because of the good service. Attention to detail, not having to wait for water, ask for napkins, waiting for the bill when you are done eating, ETC. Tips should be earned not expected.

June 13, 2013 at 11:39 am
(58) Mike In Stl says:

Make sure to write CASH on the tip line so that the owner doest think the sever performed poorly. ( I always leave a cash tip)

June 13, 2013 at 11:47 am
(59) Meg says:

Thanks for the comments about servers and declaring 10-15% of sales. I work part-time as a waitress for extra money and I work HARD for each and every tip. And to the person who said walking is not hard, excuse me but that is not all we do. You try juggling 5 tables at one time, where everyone needs a refill, the kitchen is yelling for you to come pick up your food, one table wants more FREE BREAD, and 5 more people are waiting at the door for you to bus a table so they can sit down. And its people like Chris and the others…I personally have to declare 10% of sales, or ALL of my tips, whichever is GREATER. When you stiff me, or leave $6.00 on a $100 ticket, I pretty much just paid you for me to serve you. They WILL tax me on the amount, regardless of what you leave. So thank you to all of those who know to tip 20% or more when the service is great! Not all of us are out there just because we HAVE to, I love serving and enjoy getting away from my desk job and talking to people who are out to have a good time. And yes, if you are someone who refuses to tip, please let me know before we start, so I can give you the level of service you deserve.

June 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm
(60) Sal says:

Aiding and abetting a crime. Who is that JackASS

June 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(61) kacklelackle says:

I love it. So people who don’t tip are “entitled” but people who expect/demand money beyond their negotiated pay rate are not entitled. Even worse, they are some how righteous/honorable for being abusive and nasty to someone who doesn’t choose to give them free money. That’s entitlement at its core. If you don’t like the pay system, petition your gov’t to change the laws. Don’t force tohers to pay your way.

June 13, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(62) Jon says:

I get to know wait staff at places i frequent, i find, when i tip generously, that my level of service goes up, my food is quicker, my glass is never empty, every is a little more cordial. i always tip well. right down to the pizza driver. why else is it always delivered piping hot and quick as hell.

June 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(63) Erick says:

I would love to tip more but the cost of food has gone up so much that I opt to order my food to go. Tipping $6 for a $30 meal for two is great for the waiter/waitress, but tough for people who can barely afford the $30 meal iteself. Plus, there’s nothing like eating restaurant quality food while watching a movie in the comfort of your own home.

June 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(64) Mr. Pink says:

I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.

June 13, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(65) Phedra says:

I do not leave tips. It should be the responsibility of the employer to pay the employee a fair salary. The fact that you get “good service” should have nothing to do with tipping. It’s a person’s duty to do their job to the best of their ability.

You do not tip your dentist for doing a good job. You don’t tip the nurse who takes care of you in the hospital, or the nurses aide. You don’t tip the person who bags your groceries and does a good job. The workers who pick your food in the fields are underpaid yet you don’t tip them either. So, why do you feel you need to tip a server? If YOU want to do it, that’s fine but don’t get on my case because I don’t.

When you go to the DMV and you get a clerk that’s especially helpful in getting everything taken care of, do you tip that person? Of course you don’t. Why not? Didn’t you get good service?

The tipping thing is totally out of hand. I applaud those places that don’t allow their employees to accept tips and there are quite a few. It is not necessary to tip a person who does the job they are expected to do. Do YOU get a tip for doing your job well? If not, why not?

June 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(66) AAC3 says:

I will not tip. I will not and do not acknowledge the plight of the waitress.

The only thing they do is enter in my order and bring me the stuff i tell them to.

They could be replaced with a kiosk and a pickup window. Then again you would want me to tip the cashier for handing me my order right?

So because I want to pay someone else to provide me a meal, I have to give extra money to someone not smart enough to realize their job IS to put up with 5 tables ordering FREE BREAD and refills, bring them what they asked for and do it quickly and pleasantly.

Servers seam to think they have a difficult job that involes some kind of remarkable marketable skill that warrents hourly bonuses. What the frak do you think goes though patrons minds? “Oh hey! You didnt offend me, hurt me, or screw up my order. I really should pay extra for what I expected to get when i walk in the door!!!” something like that maybe?

WHat? I have to pay you to not spit in my food, spill coffee down my back, or bring me my order while it is still fresh? Eat it suckers….

June 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(67) AAC3 says:

Know what would halt the pubilic requirement for tips? Fire the servers who can not put up with 5 tables ordering FREE BREAD and refills, bring customers their orders quickly and pleasantly for their wage. If you can not do even that patheticly simple job without being paid extra for ‘effort” you will always be left wanting.

On the otherside, all the server staff on earth can quit until resturante owners decide they should pay servers more. Only problem with that solution is that there is always a cheeper whore willing to do more for less. Simply…Stop working for tips.

You servers seam to forget that your agreement with your boss is the only thing that determines your compensation. It is not my responsibility to make sure you have enough money. It is not even your bosses responsibility to make sure you have enough money. It is your responsibility only.

Their job boils down to being a table side cashier/service whore. WOuld you tip a hooker for giving a really really good BJ? No, your paying her already… The fact it was better than the other chicks makes me come back to you to pay you again.

Why can they not see they are the low man on the totem poll and that no matter what the job is…. low man makes the least and is the first to be effected by wage fluctuations?

The only tip that shouldn be given to a server:

Want more money?
Get a better job.

June 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(68) Rulove says:

All in agreement Chris sucks.

June 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm
(69) Ed says:

I’m sorry, but (like a lot of advice columns) this is pretty shallow.

Yeah, if I put the tip on the credit card the server may get 2.5 percent less. I get that. But . . .

1. If I had to leave cash, I’d probably end up leaving less. I often don’t have cash. When I do, I want to keep it for an emergency. And a few dollars extra is more painless when put on a credit card than when emptying my pocket.

2. The writer suggests the server is somehow getting cheated because of the 2.5 percent fee. (“Besides, should servers really have to pay a fee to get the tips they’ve already earned?”) But isn’t that the same problem the restaurant itself, the gas station, and the merchant on the corner all have? Should they really have to pay a fee to get the price of the goods or services they sell? If they are using a credit card processer, well, yes, they should.

3. The writer suggests the restaurant should be paying the fee. Why? No, really, why? Why should the restaurant pay a portion of the tip? They pay a wage.

I absolutely understand the value of a tip. I worked for tips, I have family that has worked for tips, and I almost never leave less than a 20% tip for anything — more if it is a lower ticket such as a meal for one. But it is silly for the writer to suggest, without any real apparent thought, that I should pay cash unless it happens to be convenient for me.

June 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm
(70) Ron says:

As a former server I appreciate that good service deserves a good tip. Poor service deserves a poor tip.
My experience is that a Republican is more likely to leave a tip then a so called Democrat.
Living wage (non tipping) will not lead to better service. It will lead to more expensive meals and Govt. taking a bigger share of the servers income.
People who don’t tip should try to use restaurants that require little service buffet, fast food, carry out.
Serving people teaches us a great deal about how to get along with people.

June 13, 2013 at 6:19 pm
(71) Duncan says:

Never pay tips with cash. They need to pay taxes just like all of us do. and if you pay with cash they wont report it. I know several waiters and they never report cash tips. and its not fair to the rest of us that do. Latoya you need to research stuff before you make stories up. and if the owner what to rip off them and they work there well that’s np.

June 13, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(72) Pam says:

Laws should be changed and servers should be paid a decent wage with no tips. Menu prices should be raised to cover this. You don’t go into a store and pay $20 for a shirt, then tip the cashier another $20, do you? No, you pay full price for the shirt and the store is responsible for the cashier’s wages. That said, I do tip 20% for good service, 15% for so-so, and almost nothing for almost nothing service.

June 13, 2013 at 10:57 pm
(73) MIchael says:

Some real pieces of garbage posting here about not tipping. I learned that if you bust your hump for me and are nice and make sure that I get my drink refilled promptly and my food is hot and the order is right, you deserve a little “extra” for you hard work. Put forth the minimal effort and get minimal “extra”,

Now at a buffet, just a buck or two. But at a menu place, 15% at breakfast/lunch and 20% at dinner…

June 13, 2013 at 11:43 pm
(74) Hamiltonin says:

I once worked at a luxury hotel in Itasca Il.We had a fine food restaurant there in which the servers frequently rec’d 50 to 200.00 cash tips and even more per TABLE, sometimes more on larger tables. The would hangout a local watering hole always bragging about the huge tips they made, they all drove the newest fanciest hot rod auto’s, wore the newest most expensive fashions, wore lot’s of Bling. They looked down at the rest of the untipped employees of the hotel with disdain,disrespect and plain rudeness. Then the Infernal Revenue Bureau changed the playing field about taxes on tipped employee’s, you should of heard all the whinning and complaining. Especially from one waiter who complained to me in Loss Prevention,”Because of these taxes I have to cut down on my coke use” !

June 14, 2013 at 7:34 am
(75) Jimbo says:

I’m getting tired of servers demanding 20% in tips. Waiting tables is not supposed to be a well-paying job, yet many waiters and waitresses make more than I do with two college degrees and a teaching certificate. I tip 15% for good service, 10% for average service, and 0% for lousy service. If waiters and waitresses want to earn bigger paychecks, let them go get the education or training for higher-level work!

June 14, 2013 at 8:22 am
(76) JD says:

#2 @Milton – REALLY? You’re going to side with the freakin IRS right now, after they’ve been screwing everybody and targeting people of particular political affiliation? Screw the IRS. Let em get their lost pennies from Obama. I pay cash!

#3 @Chris – And you’re a real gem of a human being aren’t you? I hope you lose your job and have to work in a greasy, truck stop diner for the rest of your life. OH and by the way, we spit in YOUR food because we can tell if someone is a good tipper or a non/bad tipper. Have a nice day. Jerk.

June 14, 2013 at 8:50 am
(77) Cookie says:

Wait staff pay their fair share of taxes. They are taxed on a certain percentage of what their receipts are. It’s the law. Their wage is set by law. So, Chris if you are too cheap and low class to tip – do everyone a favor and stay home. Somewhere along the line you never learned the definition of integrity.

June 14, 2013 at 9:04 am
(78) WarEagle says:

When my employer starts paying me in unaccountable, and thereby non-taxable, cash, I’ll consider it. My ex-wife used tips to rent a nice condo, paying neither taxes nor child support. So, it’s plastic tips from me!

June 14, 2013 at 10:19 am
(79) Rod says:

Tee If you take 2.5% of $5.00 = 12.5 cents rounded up to 13 cents.

June 14, 2013 at 10:22 am
(80) jdc says:

Some cheep people posting on this – no tip – what losers. Tips are part of there income.

June 15, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(81) Sammy says:

All of you non tippers are pathetic. Just because someone is a server, it does make them lower than you. We don’t do this because we can’t do anything else. I did go to school, have a degree, yet still wait tables. Why? I make damn good money and love the flexible schedule. What do you all do that’s supposedly so much better? Do us all a favor and stay home…you’re a pain the ass.

June 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm
(82) kaydeekay says:

Tips are the way the restaurant industry is set up in the US. We all know that, and when you willingly go into a restaurant with the tip system in place and do not leave a tip, then you are doing nothing more than stealing.

If you really think all servers do is walk around, then you have definitely never been a waiter a day in your life. You have no idea what a hard day’s work is or you wouldn’t have made that comment.

Stop making excuses for being deadbeats. If you feel you are so right about not leaving a tip, then tell the server when you sit down you aren’t tipping. I know none of you do that which means you know you are in the wrong.