1. Money
LaToya Irby

Can A Credit Card Company Garnish My Wages?

By February 28, 2011

Some debt collectors, and even credit card companies, will try to bully you into making a payment by threatening to garnish your wages. Can they actually follow through on that threat? Yes, but not until they sue you, win, and have a judge decide to garnish your wages as the method of payment. (It's illegal for debt collectors to threaten you with a lawsuit if they don't intend to do so or if they can't legally do it.)

If you are served with legal documents about a lawsuit, it's in your best interests to contact an attorney. Don't ignore the lawsuit; that will only hurt you †When you don't show up to court, the plaintiff (whoever filed the lawsuit) can have a default judgment entered in his favor. This means you automatically owe whatever the creditor sued you for and the court decides how to get the money from you, e.g. wage garnishment.

If you receive notice from your employer about your wages being garnished, but were never served with lawsuit papers, you should definitely see a lawyer. Chances are, the creditor/debt collector didn't do something right and you may be able to get the judgment overturned.

You can avoid a lawsuit and garnished wages altogether by paying off debts before they become seriously delinquent. Creditors can sue you whether you owe them $500 or $50,000. When a creditor sues you and wins, a judgment is entered on your credit report and stays for seven years from the date of filing. For more infomation about wage garnishment read: How Wage Garnishment Is Used to Collect a Debt

Wage Garnishment FAQs

Comments
March 7, 2008 at 11:54 pm
(1) latvija says:

I feel that you overlook a debtor getting an attorney. Namely, if papers have been served, how is one going to pay the attorney? Sure, there may be a free consultation. But if one wants the attorney to answer the suit, then the attorney’s fees have to be paid, alongside the fees for filing an Answer.

I know a little something about the matter. I have been sued three times and have three default judgments within a three year period. Attorney consults result in oh, you’re judgment proof. Well, being judgment proof doesn’t prevent a Writ of Execution as a bank levy. They can’t collect the money, since the income is disability. But, sure the bank collects their $100.00 Legal Processing Fee every time a bank levy hits my account.

January 21, 2009 at 11:44 am
(2) lucy says:

I have an idea. PAY YOUR BILLS

April 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(3) Ally says:

I have an idea F you maybe some ppl can’t pay bills cause they lost their job you stupid scumbag

April 30, 2009 at 5:20 pm
(4) kbspots says:

That is right, lots of people now can’t pay their bills because they lost their job, have no savings and no income. So what is the answer? Live on the street?

May 15, 2009 at 11:12 pm
(5) Good Credit be 4 Credit Cards says:

I had great Credit before I ever opened a business account w/ Chase Bank. That is like selling you soul to the devil. We have had several misfortunes and now Chase has raised our APR to 29.99% who can afford that interest rate. Isn’t high interest rates and the top dogs price gouging what got us into this mess. Why don’t we all quit pointing fingers and get back to taking care of each other! I say the lady with the comment about paying bills seems to be loaded so she can pay off our debt. Sorry I just had too!

May 19, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(6) Nat says:

I think that banks are the reason why everyone is in a mess. Yet they got bailed out from there problems, Why don’t we get to be bailed out. To top it off, the people with goos credit, and people that were paying their bills on time, still got punished, by either having their credit closed, interest rates going up, lowering the credit limit, etc…. F*ck that banks!!! They deserve to get nothing else. What everyone should do is stop paying there credit cards!!!

June 11, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(7) Nic says:

Lucy shut up bitch!!! u probably live @ home with your parents & don’t have any real bills hoe!

June 26, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(8) bill says:

I have a 720 credit score and pay all my bills on time. Never a late payment. My total minimum payment on 3 Chase cards with fixed rates at 4.9-6.9 is $300 per month. Was just informed yesterday that as of August 1 my minimum payment will go from 2% of the balance to 5%. This will raise my minimum payment from $300 per month to $750.Damage Resulting = There is absolutely no way that I can come up with this extra $450 per month. I have no choice but to default and ruin my credit. I follow the agreement why aren’t they?

July 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(9) Jimmy says:

I had a good credit until last month. I was recently layoff by the bank I used to work for. now my credit is going to get ruin. guess what? I DONT CARE!! I have no money for bills. my kids and house come first. F–K the credit and the creditors.

July 8, 2009 at 3:55 am
(10) N says:

I agree with some above. I’ve played by the rules, contacted the cc companies to try and work out payments arrangements. Then the cc’s hike up my interest rate, close accounts(that’s probably for the best), increase my minimum payment due, etc. My thoughts: Let’s send our bills to our senators and representatives. They voted to give the banks the bailout money. In return the banks are treating us poorly. The senators and reps. need to answer for this, and the banks too!

July 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm
(11) Amy says:

My husband and I got a couple credit cards when we got married to build credit. Then we got a car loan to accomodate our growing family. Then I get laid off 6 weeks before I’m to birth. Both credit cards went into default and are threatening to sue us which I understand means wage garnishment, What do I do now that I’m back to work? I’m scarred and feel bad for letting it get this far

July 30, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(12) fair says:

Thank your new and improved government and all the [deleted] who voted for CHANGE… because thats all any of us are going to have left in our pockets when Osama I mean Obama is through with us.

September 30, 2009 at 4:03 pm
(13) Steve says:

Wow, people here cant keep a job, cant pay their bills and have foul mouths to boot. Maybe the mouth and the attitude caused their difficulties keeping a job – which translated into non payment of debt. Must be someone elses fault. Lucy – you go girl.

October 28, 2009 at 11:36 am
(14) Scott says:

Any of you that are having trouble with credit cards should try contacting a non-profit consumer credit counseling agency. They have programs that can help, or at least point you in the right direction. Go to the National Foundation for Credit Counseling’s website: http://www.nfcc.org. The NFCC is the national benchmark agency for real non-profit credit counseling agencies, don’t get scammed by a for-profit company.

October 30, 2009 at 9:58 am
(15) Michael says:

I’m thinking Steve and Lucy are a match made in H E double hockey sticks!!

December 21, 2009 at 11:23 am
(16) Superbry says:

Taking time to make a stupid comment like Lucy’s on a site like this is just pure vicious and evil…what are you doing in this site if you pay your bills?…I think you are just another douchebag with a lot of time on her hands

December 23, 2009 at 9:40 pm
(17) susie says:

I got something to say… This stuff was going to happen to us with or without Obama in office this started along time ago and now that a blk man is in the offiice thats right point the finger at him… get a life and lets start to help the new President make a change and let deal with the credit issues

December 24, 2009 at 11:03 pm
(18) sjc says:

Hey, Fair, Put a sock in it!!!!!!!!!!! This new govt. is holding the credit card companies accountable. The last one did not and that is why we are all in trouble now. Get your facts straight and your names, Jerk.

December 29, 2009 at 5:27 am
(19) Dave says:

Glad to know they can’t garnish my wages. I had a company call my employer and request an address where a wage garnishment could be mailed. I am currently 60 days past due on a $840 loan balance. I have been working fewer hours due to health issues. Apparently, even if they can’t garnish my wages, they are going to try embarrassing me into paying by contacting my employer and doing their best to ruin my reputation. Bastards! I would love to do something about them calling – just not sure what…

January 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm
(20) Kurt says:

Dave,

What that company did was illegal and you can sue them for $1,000 plus actual damages. I recommend that you take them to small claims court in the county where you live and making sure they get the summons. Sue them for the max that court allows (surely this distressed you emotionally). Once they get the summons they will back off. Make sure your employer is willing to testify that they received the call.

Good luck and screw these guys. They got Bush’s bailout money and then used it to hire lawyers to try to screw you. It is the least you can do.

January 31, 2010 at 6:33 pm
(21) Future Army Wife says:

hello, last yr (2009) I was not making enough money to cover my credit card bills because the interest rate went way up like almost 30%, ofcourse I was going to pay the most important things first. To make a long story short… I got court papers because I was getting sued, this was back in May of 2009. I got married in December-> my husband and I have a military bank account… can the credit card company get to that money?…

February 19, 2010 at 5:37 pm
(22) Marc says:

To the people that come on here and say pay your bills I have to laugh. Firstly many of those people were paying their bills until people like citi card raised their interest from 5.9 to 29.9. That to me is robbery.

How is a business to survice when they increase the amount by that much. Many were good payers, yest they get punished because the banks were the ones that had poor control over their finances.

Yes there are some that just dont pay, but I think most are or were trying until the banks and credit card companies made it impossible.

Also ask the question, why is it fair we bail out the banks with OUR money? Why do we not get bailouts? Seems only fair……

February 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm
(23) Marc says:

I know that if they ask you to go to court, you should certainly go….with or without a lawyer. They have to prove the debt is yours and surprizingly many fail with this.

Even if they prove it is yours, they still have to go back to court again to get a writ against you. You then have a chance to ask the judge to remove the interest rate so you can pay the amount…worth trying.

If not ask for an interest rate that is acceptable or offer to pay a tiny amount.

Many people can get away with murder when it comes down to it and if you have the balls then you can get away to a certain degree.

February 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(24) Marie says:

I took out a line of credit two years ago, to fall back on in case of emergency. Then two months later, I lost my job. I wasn’t able to find work, and had a disabled spouse at home, so I went back to school. The plan was for me to further my education so I could look for work in other fields. Then, my spouse abused my son, my son was hospitalized twice and suspended from school for a full year. That left me unable to pass last semester, and unable to find work because the only person available to watch my child is the dad who abused him. I threw dad out, spent hours on the phone every day trying to find help for my son and me, took him for all kinds of appointments…And debt collectors say I’m trying to shirk my responsibility!

March 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm
(25) Heath says:

I’ve had a Bank of America card for close to 12 years never been late, never paid minimum payment then bill comes around an my minimum payment almost doubled then the next month it went from 11.3% to 27.9 so I called an they got rude with me an hung up, I waited couple weeks to cool down an called again, they told me they didnt know what to tell me they couldnt help me out so after 5 or 6 months of strugling to pay it I made a choice to stop paying it cause it was pay it an not provide for my 3 kids or not pay an provide for my 3 kids. And see i put effort out to work something out but they didnt want to help me cause they knew I had been paying my bill on time for all them years, so honestly I hope they go belly up.

August 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(26) dawina says:

I am on here to help my sister. She has had her discover card garnish her wages for 4 years and the amount she owed never went down at all. It is still $8600. That is because the interest rate is 21% They have taken more than she even owed by now and she will be paying for ever She can’t afford this now and they are going to take her house because of the garnishment. She needs help and I am looking for it for her. People make statements and don’t even know the situation of the ones they are talking to or about. This is a difficult ecconomic time please try to be nicer. The political comments are not fair. Both parties are just as guilty in letting the big corporations and banks take over the country and the working class are getting poorer while we bail them out and they get richer. There were bail outs signed into law prior to the current president taking office. Check for yourself before you make comments against one or the other. Both parties are under the thumb of the corporations.

September 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm
(27) Hollywood says:

Screw the banks. You try and work with them, and the only way they will, is if you stop paying your credit cards and mess up your credit. Therefore, they aren’t really doing you any favors. So if you are going to mess up your credit, then just don’t pay them at all. It’s what they deserve. Banks are a Mafia!

December 18, 2010 at 11:58 pm
(28) Luis says:

It’s not very nice for anyone to make inappropriate comments about others without knowing the condition they’re in. I used to pay my bills for seven years always on time and had no debts, after working for a copany for 10 years i was layed off along with the rest of the staff and that’s when the bills began to pile up as i couldnt get a job for almost two years. The important thing is to be willing to do ANY job even if its not to one’s standards in order to get some kinf of income so that bills dont pile up.

Cheers everyone!

January 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(29) Count on the T-bags says:

Well….for all you people that believe the the T-bag nuts are
going to help….ask how they like there Representative now…

Ask The Republicans this……How about

YOUR NOT GOING TO SELL IT HERE- UNLESS YOU MAKE IT HERE

January 26, 2011 at 10:48 am
(30) Need Help says:

My husband lost his jobs. We lost our medical insurance. My daughter had operation for cancer. I had to use our savings to pay before she could have surgery. I am 3 months behind on house 4 mths on C Cards and 4 mths behind colleg bills. I am drowning! Crditors calling 40 times a day. Dont know if I should do nothing just walk away OR file bankruptcy. Does anyone have any good advice. Thanks

February 21, 2011 at 7:53 am
(31) feral says:

this country has phucked its inhabitants. a few years back, was married, had some great jobs, then divorced and and lost work. practically eight hours a day for a whole year, i was unable to find work. During that year… late fees and interest rates skyrocketed ridiculously, and as soon as i got a job my wages were being garnished, and can barely live even with a job. Phuck the credit cards!!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(32) credit report and score says:

If the creditors sue and win and place a wage garnishment on you, what happens if you have no job/wages?

March 5, 2011 at 1:26 am
(33) susie says:

HELP! Anyone have any advice! I had a small line of credit…1,500.00 with capitol one. I tried to make smaller payments to them and work a pay off amt. They said i wwasn’t giving enough money. They sent me to a lawyer?debt collector now they want to garnish my wages. They never sednt me papers on this and the way they contacted my employer was by a faxed subpoena asking my gross wage amt. If I didn’t get anything from them and my employer got this by fax which 16 people use in my office. Everyone and anyone could have read that private info. What should I do? I think they made a big mistake sending something by fax?! suz

April 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm
(34) SA says:

You knolw what really makes me angry is there are so many people out there that file bankruptcy instead of trying to live below their means and have good jobs and then people likel me that lost my job and have been unemployed for so long now have to deal with all this crap with creditors when I used to pay all my bills on time when I had a job. I never lived above my means, but I still get penalized for it. Thats what stinks in this country and I am sick of it.

June 30, 2011 at 1:04 am
(35) juliana payton says:

I hear all of you I owed bank of america $7400 I stop paying them I don’t have a my business anymore because of this economy, now the collection agency told me to take me to a legal action. I can’t pay what thy’re asking for down payment of $3000.00 or $1400. I can’t afford either so he told me he’s taking me to court because they saw my other credit card that I have $3000 available its connected to my checking account so it does not bounce, I have 2 houses they renters are paying it they told me I got assets. the run my credit cards and my mortgages they don’t know that I owed property taxes for a year. my house were modified still barey make. So I’m waiting for there court paper. I asked them to pay $50.00 they said no. I don’t have means of paying them I’m retired and have medical problems.

June 30, 2011 at 1:04 am
(36) juliana payton says:

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 am
(37) Seth says:

You know itís really sad that most people donít have a freaking clue whatís going on and why. First off you people are not the only ones who cannot pay your bills. Heck most of the states are bankrupt. Look at CA. Do any of you know where money comes from? Let me tell you, itís not from the Federal Governments, Federal Reserve Bank. NoÖ itís not! Because the Federal Reserve is a privately owned bank part of the global network of privately owned banks controlled by a hand full of power mongers. The Federal Reserve plans were drafted on Jekyll Island, GA in 1911 and the Federal Reserve was implemented in 1913 and the Federal Income Tax that was never completely ratified by all the states was illegally implemented to repay the debt.

August 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(38) Insane says:

OH trust me. They can garnish your wages. 25% of your wages.

I was in a similar situation — good job, excellent credit… etc etc.

Big lay off, my pay went from over 100K a year to 33K a year (had to take anything I could get at that point!) I was living off of my credit cards (I have children) and ended up moving twice just to lower my bills.

I was served papers to from the credit card company, practically ignored it — mostly because of I scared and procrastinated thinking it was just a scare tactic.

I went to visit a bankruptcy lawyer, he wanted 1800 bucks up front. Well I do not have that kind of money. So I went back to ignoring my problems.

I was then hit with a letter from my employer stating my wages would be garnished starting immediately. Now I really can’t afford to live. I just feel stuck.

Ironically, 2 days prior I contacted another bankruptcy lawer to see if he was cheaper. He was, by 500 bucks. So I said ok let’s have a consultation and see what we can do — maybe to make payments to him in order to get the harrassing calls to stop and move forward…

And then WHAM… hit with the garnishment paperwork. Now I really won’t be able to hire the bankruptcy lawyer!

Just feel stuck…

Thanks for listening.

September 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm
(39) Agree with insane says:

I agree with insane. I am in the same exact boat, however the judgment against me is complete fraud. The creditor is a scam artist from what I read on and even in the judgment paperwork it does not have anything but a generic write off sheet with a bogus account number and interest rate with my name and address. No bank information. No agreement with my signature or even electronic verify.. you know the stuff you complete when actually getting a real credit car. And this is from 2005-2006 and the summons states it was delivered to a 5’9 180 black guy… How generic can you get.

October 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm
(40) RC says:

Lost my job to outsourcing, was denied unemployment benefits, and could not find a job for years despite constant searching. So I defaulted on my credit card. 8 Years after defaulting I was working again and was told by a lawyer that I could not be garnished because too much time had passed. But I was garnished anyway, and without being served any papers or any type of notice. I found out from a garnishment company only after the garnishment appeared on my pay, and the lawyer for the bank told me he did not have to give my my day in court to explain what happened to me. It put me in a hardship, and the garnishment was not continuous. It went on off and on for two years, and they ended up taking $500 more than what they said they wanted. They they sent me a refund check for $42. I contacted the court early on and complained about not being given any notice but they scheduled a hearing for three days later. But the court is 400 miles away and I could not get off work with such short notice.

October 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(41) KINGCHALIE says:

Hi Guys. I want to know from you guys what would you do if you find out that you have been garnished on your slary without been serve with court papers and if you find that it was illegaly whats steps should be taken?
Plaese help guys

November 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(42) travis says:

I had a incidnet where the court served papers to the wrong person not me but someone with the same name as me and not even at my address. they served the papers 7 years ago i was living in chicago and not even in georgia where the papers were served. on top of that they added the person they served on my credit report and added his address. then he started opening accounts in my name, mind you i have a decent credit score of 660 when i started getting calls from creditors i had founf out all of this then i find out that a judgment in my name was served to this person and i had to pay to get it all fixed which i think is bs. then after all these years they wait till now to wanna garnish my wages once i got back on my feet after i was messed up by the recession. Plus they garnished wages by 25% so they take 300 dollars per pay period and it sucks. I will be happy once this is over cause they ruined my life , i had to move out my apartment and back home with parents cause them taking 300 a pay period caused me to not afford my apartment anymore i had to decide apartment or car one had to go. I just wish they had it where they couldn’t do wage garnishents. and bankrupcy sucks too it ruins your credit if you have any and you have to start all over plus its hard to get apartments cars etc…. and its on your credit for 7 years. Then the bankrupcy lawyers want too much money to start it so it sucks.

November 15, 2011 at 7:33 am
(43) angela says:

Wow! I can’t believe that some of the interests rates went up from 6% to 30% in America! I live in Australia, and I remember what the news when the stocks crashed and the global financial crisis hit and feeling so sorry for all you guys in America. So many people lost their homes because of what the banks did. I feel so sorry for everyone who is affected, especially those who have families and children to think about. It would make your lives hard. And to top it off, the debt collectors are banking on you to not have the money to be able to sue them, so in many ways it would almost feel like they have the upper hand.

December 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm
(44) Shane Armstrong says:

I already sent money orders to pay off this credit card. My credit limit was on $250 and I have paid them over $700. Now a year later, they are garnishing my wages and saying I owe them another $700. What can I do to get this lawyer off my back?

January 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm
(45) mike langworthy says:

I think credit cards should be banned all together ,they send you enticing lettters in the mail with no credit checks and all this crap and get you hooked knowing that your probably low income and will be making the minimum payments each month forever and pay 3 times the amount borrowed or lose your your job and notbe able to make the monthly payments and get a garnishment levied against you taking 25% of your small paycheck and ruin your life for years to come like i said LEGAL THIEVERY

January 11, 2012 at 1:58 am
(46) Mindy says:

I just watch a money show about how school loans need to be payed off first when is comes to credit because not only can they garnish you they can even garnish social security checks too. She said to pay the car and school loans first and then the credit cards. I called my creditors and closed my accounts and set up a payment plan to pay them off. they will reduce your rates if you negotiate a payoff. Good Luck everyone!!

February 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm
(47) Beverly Harris says:

I purchased a car several years ago and have made payments on time deducted from my checking account, And recently I opened a gas charge card and a small credit card with a low limit at this time to try to rebuild my credit, I pay all on time sometimes sending two payments a month on my credit cards to keep the balances from getting out of control, But my credit score keeps going down I don;t understand why?

February 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm
(48) Beverly Harris says:

February 13, 2012 at 10:38 am
(49) Vera D says:

When these poiliticians are running for office the big companies line their pockets with money. Once they are elected then these companies come back and start telling these politicans what they want. These politicians and big companies go hand in hand. Their attitude is I take care of you finacially while you run for office and you take care of me after you are elected to office.

March 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm
(50) hurting says:

My mom and dad together owe credit cards over $50,000. Chase offered to settle with my mom for $12,000 so she borrowed money from her 401k to pay the settlement. After cashing the settlement check, Chase revoked their settlement offer stating my mom made too much money last year, and is now demanding the rest of what she owed them in full on top of the $12,000 cash she already paid. I would really like to know who sets the standards for what is “too much” because “too much” isn’t enough these days. My mom is now left paying high interest rates for borrowing from her 401k and is living paycheck to paycheck and taking payday loans weekly just to make it to the next payday to support her two children. She owes $5,000 to the IRS by April 12th (tax payment due date) and cannot pay- she is out of options and doesn’t know what to do at this point. My dad has been served with papers from Discover saying they want to sue him and will soon be garnishing his (already low) wages, if they do this they will no longer be able to make the house payment and we will loose everything. My heart hurts everyday from this. My family is struggling everyday and barely hanging on. The other day I overheard my father telling my mom he can’t wait til he dies so he won’t have to deal with this anymore. His only way out seems to be to file for bankruptcy, but since my mom “makes too much money” they would have to get a divorce and live in seperate houses in order for that to happen. Our house is now worth less than what my parents bought it for 15 years ago and are still paying. I just feel so sad and heartbroken that so many people are having to deal with this in their lives and pray everyday it will all get better, for everyone all over the world. When are we going to tell these jerks who are just getting richer off of us and don’t care a damn about us that enough is enough and we want out. I know there is something we can all do if we all could actually act as “ONE NATION under God.”

March 22, 2012 at 12:29 am
(51) Hope says:

I’ve read all of your posts on this subject and I am sorry for all of us. I recently got laid off and I have about 14K in credit card debt spread over 5 different credit card companies. I was making less than minimum credit card payments but I can’t afford to pay for a roof over our heads, utilities, gas, and food if I continued paying them off. I still haven’t received my unemployment check so we’ve resorted to using candlelight as much as possible to lower utilities. We rent a house and moving would be more expensive because all the rentals are going up in price now – not to mention the fact that we already live in a high crime area. I keep looking for work everyday and creative ways to cut costs. We only buy the food that is on sale in the weekly circulars (if it’s available in stock) and my husband picks it up on his way back from work to save on gas. We make our own soap… well, it’s been really hard on us. The first time we were laid off was when the economy crashed a few years ago, so we had to walk away from our home. Since then we are happy that we are renting, but I worry constantly about making ends meet. Hard times are NEVER long lasting, yet they are embarrasing, painful, and maybe even humiliating. The people that can’t understand life in the hard times have been blessed with the opportunity to be there for others. I don’t wish hard times on anyone, but I can say that EVERYONE will face it at some point in their lives. For those of us that are in the hard times, all we can do is live it with dignity and with forgiveness towards others and ourselves. We can’t change much, but we can change how we face our days – with dignity and caring towards those around us. Others are watching how we will live our hard days, because soon it’ll be their turn and they’ll need help too.

August 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm
(52) Leeann says:

I think that there are a couple of people here that will soon be in the same boat,only because they were rude enough to ASSUME it was people didn’t want to be responsible. I am one of the most responsible people you could ever meet. When I was laid off I had over $40,000 in the bank and never used my credit cards unless traveling, and they were paid off in full with in at the longest,three months. Then the business I worked for closed over 1200 people with out jobs. 1200 people with out jobs in a town this size is like fitting those same 1200 people in a bath tub, just doesn’t work..

November 10, 2012 at 6:52 am
(53) Jason says:

Nat…you are correct. The banks got bailed out (paid with our money) so It’s time to get that money back. Take on a lot of new credit and max them out by buying gold and silver. Try to stick with B of A, Citi and JPM (Chase) as they are the big 3 recipients. Tell em to [expletive] off and file BK.

February 6, 2013 at 12:51 am
(54) kitty says:

i have just gotten a call today saying that they are trying to look for me to serve me my papers for court to sue me. but the thing is i don’t know if they are just trying to scare me or if they really are trying to take me to court. i work part time only and im getting cash aide (government assistant) and it still not enough to pay my bills. i don’t know what i would do if they garnished my wages :( i don’t even have a car to take my little 6 year old to school. i walk her every morning about 5 to 6 blocks in the cold to school. if anyone could please help me! im in desperate need of help or even just to tell me what i should do. thanks

February 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(55) jeff says:

Yo, Viatch! (2) Lucy. Hopefully, at least once, you will lose your job at LEAST ONCE in your lifetime. See if you agree with your asinine statment then, you moronic **ITCH!

March 23, 2013 at 8:02 am
(56) Corey says:

I had a garnishment on my paycheck it was on there for awhile then one day the garnishment stopped. Then a few years after the garnishment had stopped I received a letter for a collection agency saying I own them some money the original creditor was the same one that put a garnishment one my paycheck a few years ago. It looks like Iím paying twice for a debt.

May 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm
(57) eric smith says:

If you use more than 19% of your credit limit and don’t pay it in full each month……you’re dancing with the devil.

May 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(58) Dusty Road says:

Here’s the thing… I have read the comments and from personal experience I have learned this most of you in here complaining about Obama and bail outs… If you all would read your contract BEFORE you sign to get credit cards then you would see the rate will rise… also make more then you minimum… if you charge 1000 making your minimum only cover a percentage of you interest… you never really get to your principle…it will take you 17yrs to pay that off at 12.99% interest and if your late it defaults to 29-35% interest depending on the company…

May 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm
(59) Dusty Road says:

as far as bailing out these companies look at it this way….when the housing boom was hot too many people live above their means and off credit cards thinkin it would last for ever… problem was everyone bought houses and things they couldnt afford to begin with and excepted terrible arm and interest only loans to to so… when that market fell so did jobs and companies including card/banks…with that people lost jobs….

May 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm
(60) Dusty Road says:

couldnt afford what they bought had so bills stopped getting paid… no company can withstand 35%-60% drop in business… they needed the bail out because we as consumers used them in the good times and said screw them in the bad… everyone here is to blame… Too many of you in here feel like your entitled to something your not.. whats gonna happen in 2014 when there is no more option of chapter 7 bk only 13 where you will have to pay this back or when creditors can force you into bk and you lose your homes… not making an effort to bad back your bills is equal to stealing period. you asked for credit(essentually money) to get what you want and now refused to make an effort to give it back? Put yourself in the shoes of these companies… you loan your friend 1000′s of dollars cause you have it to loan… now you need it back and your friend says nope screw you… what do you do? You sue them or fight them or find a way to motivate them to give you back you money right? Same difference… regardless of what you think we as adults parents and “americans” need to make better choices… based on whats fair honest and right… not based on what the govtmnt does to help keep big business going in this country… they wouldnt have had to do that if we paid this companies like we should have… do i have good credit not really but i also dont live so far out of my means that my life is ruined if i lose my longtime job… i make 55k a year and live like i make 55k a yr…not like some of us who make 55k a yr and live like we make 100k…think about is and smarten up… stop blaming everyone but yourself for YOUR financial situation… if you getting sued means you prolly deserve it and i hope you lose and your wages get garnished so you do learn a lesson…sameone we teach our child… take responsibility for your actions and never cheat anyone and be honest…

June 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm
(61) hostgator Promo Code says:

Hi there! This blog post could not be written much better!
Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept talking about this. I most certainly
will send this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a very good read.
I appreciate you for sharing!

July 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(62) Andrew Bae says:

Wow.
I am so surprised and sadden by all comments above.
I was and still, having very difficult time with my life.
Once I owned. 5 properties and my credit score was 800 above.
Within 3 years I have lost everything I owned and as of today still struggling to meet my ends.
This happened in year 2009 and I know I was in suididal stage.
But I can say this to all the people above.
Just live, stay alive…
The sun will shine again 2maro.
I have a beautiful son now and everytime I look at my son I know what I have to do.
All that pain and sorrow can kiss my big ass people.
Everyday I get up in the morning my heart is pounding so fast from stressI can not breathe.
But
Just live
The sun will shine above your head.
I know what I went thru was a very hard times.
Staying in pain n hate will just ruin your future.
Forget the past and its never too late to start new and beautiful life people.

July 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(63) Julie says:

I am being sued because of the debt on my car loan. Can I avoid it all just by returning the car? I know that will all go on my credit but I really don’t want to file bankruptcy. I’d rather give the car back and take the loss.

February 27, 2014 at 5:52 pm
(64) Don't_know_whatI'm_going_to_do says:

I received a call today from someone stating they were going to put a judgement against me for an unpaid balance. I’m totally disabled and am unable to work. I don’t even get $500 from SSI, can they take me to court? I don’t have any wages to garnish and can’t even live on my own since I can’t afford any bills… what should I do? Please someone help!

March 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm
(65) Debbie says:

My husband went to Rent-A-Center back in May of 2004 in wichita ks.he got me a big screen tv for like$699.00.well we made all the payments on time with cash.we had like 3 maybe 4 pmts left .we got layed off.rent-a-center letterally tried brakeing frontdoor in.we were asleep in the back bedroom we thought we were getting robbed.we called the police.they came. we saw it was Rent-A-Center.we gave them the tv an a refrigerator(I cleaned it up real good while they waited).they left. they never gave us anything no paper or anything.we got evicated because of them breaking our door in.we moved back to Missouri.never heard nothing from Rent-A-Center. well March 10,2014(10years later) I got a letter from a lawyer saying I owed $1387.41 and they had a garnishment against me.now my name was not on the contract anywhere.how can they pull this nonsense.?I tried calling this lawyer she keeps hanging up on me.They are taking $157.60 out of my pay check every 2 weeks.I cant afford to pay for something I don’t owe, I cant afford to hire a lawyer either.what do I do?my husband spoke with the lawyer lady and she was very unprofessional.he asked her what about the door theybroke.she said the statues of limitation had run out on us doing anything about that.she said they supposedly gave us a court date to go to.they never gave us anything.if theysent it in the mail we didn’t get it .all our mail was forwarded to mo.can they do this?